Replacement PVC glass unit

First off, I'd like to say a thank you to the helpful people of this newsgroup, who have ever replied to my posts, or whose posts I've read over the years that have helped me with similar DIY problems.

Right, here's the question. I've got a double glazed unit (the glass panel, not the whole frame) that needs replacing.

It's a downstairs front window (so toughened glass) on a terraced property.

I'm just wondering where the best place (and of course the best price) to get it replaced.

The history and story is; it's a rental property that I own and the tennants have left and it's now up for sale, so I'm just looking for the cheaper option. I'm not up to doing the job myself, so I'm looking at someone to come and measure it, get the replacement and fit it.

Just loking for a bit of guidance as to the best place to go to get it sorted. The original unit was fitted in the late '90s and the reason that it needs replacing is that there is a whole in the glass (outsize) the size of a cricket ball. If there's any interest in the thread, I'll post a photobucket link with a photo, needless to say that I'm having an interesting conversation with the lettings agency that gave the tennants their full deposit back.

PS It's a West London/Middlesex based property - I imagine that will mean a premium.

Reply to
Road_Hog

Find a local glazer/glass shop.

If it's the outer pane, what makes you think it's the tennants' fault?

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Because the tenants didn't inform me or the letting agent and the letting agent didn't inform me when he handed the deposit back. So now I have no tenants to chase up and I can't claim on my insurance (LEGALLY). So either I'm going to have to pony up for it or the agent is. So, most definitely the tenant's fault - and yes, the neighbour has said it's been like that for long before they left.

Reply to
Road_Hog

Your local glazier would probably be best: it was for us last month. Check with anyone who has recently had double glazing installed?

Time for the 3 quotes then? Write it off against your profit?

Jim K

Reply to
Jim K

Look in your local free paper/adrag. We had two quotes, among other work, t o replace one broken and two blown upvc units from window companies and a f ourth from a one man "window doctor". Not only did he come in at a third of the price of the others, but he sorted the broken one FOC, which was coste d at £99-150 by the big guns. I've found out since that he buys all his u nits from the second of the large players.

Reply to
greyridersalso