Replacement gas valve

The quest to debug problems with my mates gas fire goes on. We sorted the power flue (the fuse in it was a fast blow and not a time delayed variety as it should have been).

However once that worked (and the fire now lit) we found the fire itself was making a loud ticking sound (nothing to do with the flue), and the maximum flame level was lower than expected.

So we had a tame neighbour (who works for BG) look at it, pulled the whole fire apart and found that somehow water had got into the back of the fire, and in the process somewhat corroded the solenoid on the main gas valve. Alas said BG man was unable to source a replacement.

So does anyone know where to get a Maclaren Products (or Johnson Controls)[1] SM474-0700-VA01 CLA 230V 360mbar gas valve? In fact just a replacement coil may be good enough - the valve body itself may be ok.

[1] tried emailing the makers - no response as yet.
Reply to
John Rumm

When you're faced with sourcing parts for an appliance it means two things...

  1. it's as old as the hills.
  2. the appliance was discontinued possibly due to a design fault.

I'd of scrapped the fire in the first place if and it looks as if you have spent a few hours on it.

-- Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

Try HRPC, although you'll probably need the GC number or the make/model of the fire, rather than the valve manufacturer's part number.

If you're anywhere near Luton, there's a place called something like Leagrave Heating Supplies (can't recall precisely) at the top of the hill on the left as you head out of Luton on Dunstable Road. Twice, I've found they've got stock of a gas valve I've wanted, but in that case, you will need the valve manufacturer's part number rather than the make/model of the gas appliance, and you may find the raw valve is missing some parts which are added by the appliance manufacturer which you'll have to transfer across. They were also much cheaper than HRPC. Doubt they do mail order though.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Maclaren Products Ltd Block 7 South Avenue Blantyre Industrial Estate, Blantyre Glasgow G72 0XB

Telephone: +44 (0) 1698 327065. Fax: +44 (0) 1698 327066

Regards Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

try one or all of these.

?retailer=google
if none of those have what you're looking for it's a new fire.

hth

Reply to
.

I know a place I'd try near the SavaCentre in Collier's Wood, London SW. They don't look the sort of place to do mail order, though.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

About three years old... hardly ever used either.

Pass - good point though, I have not tried the maker of the fire for the part.

I have spent about and hour and a half on it so far, so not that much of a problem as yet.

Reply to
John Rumm

Got a new coil for the valve from MJT Controls in Bristol (Maclaren refered me to them since they had a 60 quid minimum order if they supplied direct)

John Rumm