Hygena Washer Dryer, Vibrating Violently

I have a Hygena (Apm8721) integrated Washer/Dryer about 8 years old; It has started vibrating very badly on the higher spin cycles; the concrete counter weight is bashing the front of machine when spinning.

My initial thought was the bracket had sheared, this happened with the first unit, which was replaced under warranty (design fault, made weight too small when designing cut out for the plinth). Lifting the machine reveals that the counter weight and bracket is intact, springs are in place.

Called bloke from local paper, who confirmed above; he said the spider has probably broken and its in the drum, so very hard to get to, so it's a new machine.

Is this a DIY repair? What would be involved? Its =A3600 notes for a new machine. Would the parts be expensive, would I have to buy them from MFI?

What are the chances of a successful repair? This would be the first time I would be attempting this type of repair.

I am still using the machine, except that I put it on the 500 spin cycle when it starts bashing around; Funny thing is, very occasionally it goes normally through 1200 spin cycle, without any vibration. Machine is level!

Thanks in advance for any advice offered.

Brian

Reply to
b.ragunathan

[...]

Can someone enlighten me as to what the spider is?

Have you checked the dampers? also check that the brick nut/bolts are tight with a spanner if you have not done this?

-- Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

The Spider is the drum support and shaft on the rear of the inner drum, the machine is made by Servis and is riveted to the drum. Peter

Reply to
powerstation

The3rd Earl Of Derby Dec 11, 4:09 am show options

Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y From: "The3rd Earl Of Derby" - Find messages by this author Date: Sun, 11 Dec 2005 04:09:11 GMT Local: Sun, Dec 11 2005 4:09 am Subject: Re: Hygena Washer Dryer, Vibrating Violently Reply | Reply to Author | Forward | Print | Individual Message | Show original | Report Abuse

snipped-for-privacy@ulcc.ac.uk wrote:

-Have you checked the dampers? also check that the brick nut/bolts are tight

-with a spanner if you have not done this? Now checked, these are OK.

Reply to
BigBrian

snip

-The Spider is the drum support and shaft on the rear of the inner drum, the

-machine is made by Servis and is riveted to the drum.

-Peter

Bummer, new machine then?

recomendations for a repalcement, don't need dryer bit. Other half wanst an intragrated one :-(

Bosh, Indesit, hoover, hotpoint or even Hygena?

Reply to
BigBrian

In message , snipped-for-privacy@ulcc.ac.uk writes

I buy Hoover Washer Dryers and can usually get one from Comet or Currys for around £300 - £350. coopelectricalshop sometimes has good deals and gets good reviews for service.

Reply to
Richard Faulkner

The existing is integrated so its not a fair comparison

Reply to
powerstation

I replaced my horrid integrated Hygena washer-dryer with an ordinary (non-integrated) Miele washer 5 years ago. Bliss...

Reply to
Helen Deborah Vecht

In message , powerstation writes

Ah!

Reply to
Richard Faulkner

I like to buy a non integrated one, but the wife is adament she wants one where we can put a door on it :-(

If I had the choice a miele or a =A3200 cheap machine to throw away and repalce every 4 years.

Brian

Reply to
BigBrian

The problem is nothing to do with the spider that supports the drum. The fact that it will sometimes spin at 1200 confirms this beyond doubt. That leaves 2 options:

1=2E your dampers arent damping enough 2=2E a fixing point has become detached.

Its nearly always the former. It would cost a small fraction of =A3600 in time to fix it, and replacement parts would be 2 figures.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

its now doing it all the time; I will check again this weekend. All fixing were in place, I didn't check the dampers to see if they were soft.

Washing machine bloke seemed to check evrerything!

Regards

Brian

Reply to
BigBrian

You wont be able to tell if the dampers are good or not unless youre more familiar with the machines. If theyre still damping, but not enough, as is usually the way, it will shake. Just replace.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

You can put a door on any machine - as long as you're willing to have a seperate door for it, and then open the washing machine door.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

Used it yesterday, noise is actually comming from back of drum, now even on the wash cycle. My wife came home and said she could hear it half down the street. After the wash had finished, the cloths came out wet and soapy. Now there is a lot of play in moving it back anfd forward and it makes a lot of noise when turning it by hand. I asssume the spider has now well and truly gone.

Brian

Reply to
BigBrian

then I think its time you leave it to a professional.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Bought an AEG from John Lewis direct =A3499 ouch! Was going to get a Hotpoint or indesit for =A3380ish, but was put off after reading the following site

tempted by a Miele for =A3780 with a five warranty, or =A3980 for one with a 10 year warranty, but got put off, loads of money to pay for a washing machine. These were all integrated models; though the hygena cost me an original =A3200(deal with new kitchen), =A3200 notes for a 5 year warranty, plus two times =A385 for the subsequent years warranty, so that's =A3570 for 8 years of use and hassle of about 10 call outs. Didn't take it for this last year, though if I did, it would have expired in November and not sure if I would have taken it out again, machine started dieing beginning of December. If miele model do last and are reliable, then it may have been a worthwhile investment.

Anyway, the Aeg is in after two hours of cursing, loosening, bashing of adjacent units. Washed several loads, including one with all the household rugs, mats etc, which used to make the hyenga go mad, the AEG was smooth and quite.

Problem now, is that the dam hinges for the door are in the wrong place; have to pick up a router in the sales to carve a hinge hole further down the door! The things we have do to keep the other half happy and quite.

Brian

Reply to
BigBrian