Repairing crack in flat bitumen roof

Is there anything better than black exterior mastic (frame sealer) to repair a foot long crack in a bitumen felt roof? The crack is near the edge where there is a lip to control direction of water flow.

Some has used what is now hard grey stuff to repair some previous blemishes in the tiles. It is subsequently cracked.

Reply to
Michael Chare

You can get roof sealant cartridges which I think are bitumen based and should retain some flexibility.

Reply to
Bob Minchin

Thank you. Screwfix sell Mapei Backfill Bitumen sealant cartridges. They are twice the price of their other roof sealant products. I wonder if they are any better.

Reply to
Michael Chare

Bitumen is cheap stuff. General approach to roof cracks: Fill crack with sand & bitumen Apply bitumen Apply cloth. Anything can do but synthetic fibres last better. Apply bitumen Apply sand.

  • for bitumen read bitumen + solvent, sold in gallon cans.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

With a long crack, it might be worth applying a felt patch, bedded on mastic from a tin (slightly cheaper than cartridges).

Reply to
newshound

Aquapol with its reinforcing scrim? Wonderful stuff.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Flash band on top of bitumous mastic. Use the flashband primer. Best done in warm weather. Unfortunately.

Reply to
harry

I have used this on my felt shed roof with good results. I believe it is bitumen with fiber particles to strengthen it.

ss

+1 Aluminium strip with about 2mm bitumen on one side. I have found it very effective when it is used with the appropriate primer. It can easily be moulded. I used it once to seal a circular downpipe going through a flat garage roof. Very effective

Malcolm

Reply to
Malcolm Race

I repair my flat metal kitchen extension roof with a length off a roll of grey foil with bitumen layer obtained from a roofing merchant. Heat from a blowtorch melts it onto the metal.

Reply to
Dave W

Over the split in the metal caused by slates falling off the main roof onto it, corner first.

Reply to
Dave W