Removing wires from car battery terminals - Why -ve 1st

And that would have been in the boot if it was a proper Mini. Sunk in a nice hole at the OSR making the terminals very close to the chassis...

Agreed and thank you.

I only mentioned it as a friend of mine had his Dad do it with a forklift via a wedding ring. But seeing the damage really made it sink in.

Another school friend's Dad lost his finger when jumping up to hang the football nets on the crossbar and caught his wedding ring on the hook.

Dangerous things those wedding rings....

Adam

Reply to
ARW

When seat belt wearing became compulsory an old chap from this village was driving his mini with a load of junk in the back, a can of easy start allegedly shorted the battery out and exploded, the theory was that being unused to the seat belt catch the old guy didn't get out in time.

The lorry driver who picked timber up from me lost his finger this way when he jumped off the crane seat and it got hooked behind the hydraulics valve chest.

Reply to
AJH

A friend of mine lost a finger like that very recently, in similar circumstances; he was climbing over a chainlink fence after footy practice, jumped over, and his wedding ring finger got caught...

He tells me it is quite a common injury - "a degloved finger" seems to be the medical term (one which gave me a bit of a shudder)

Heh. I am married but don't wear a ring. Partly because I am not into self-adornment, partly because, working a fair amount with my hands, and with electrics, it seems inviting trouble.

Reply to
jkn

An elderly and disabled neighbour lost her finger on Christmas Day some years ago. She and her (also elderly and disabled) husband had a meal out, but the booked taxi to come back, turned out to be a mini-bus. The driver refused to help her get out and her husband was unable to. In struggling to get out, she fell, caught her wedding ring and ripped her finder off. Another neighbour (we were away at the time) recovered her finger, but being Christmas day, with skeleton staff and lots of drunks, she was was not seen to in time and the finger could not be re-attached.

Reply to
Steve Walker