Honeywell Thermostat Unused Wires/Terminals

I just got a Honeywell CT3611 programmable thermostat for my Ruud multistage heat pump. While labeling and connecting the wires, I discovered to my horror that my old Ruud thermostat had two unconnected wires inside - one colored black and the other colored orange. At the same time, it also had 3 unused terminal screws - named O, L, and E. My question is what do I do with these 2 unconnected wires. Do I just leave them just like before, i.e., unconnected to anything, or should I try to connect them to either one of the O, L and E screw terminals on the new Honeywell? How do I know which wire goes to where?

Everything else looks OK:

X goes to C R goes to R Y goes to Y W2 goes to W2 G goes to G B goes to B

Note I am connecting the B on the Ruud to the B on the Honeywell, and not to the C, since C is already connected to X and there is no O connection. I hope this is correct.

I tried calling Honeywell Customer Service but they are closed on weekends. Meanwhile we are expecting a frost here near DC tonight.

Any assistance will be appreciated. Thanks.

Reply to
Filipo

Or it might be an old L terminal, or T, but in this case, you would be correct...thats the common to the system.

Right..thats your 24VAC feed to the stat, that the stat sends where it needs to make things work..

contactor lead..correct..

2nd stage, and emergency heat terminal..

Fan control...

reversing valve..

If you connect it to the C like you say..the first time you try heating mode, you will be in for a rude, or as we like to say...a Ruud surprise.. So dont.

and

O is for the reversing valve too...but ONLY if you need the reversing valve to operate in cooling mode...like a York or Carrier, or Trane.

As far as the other wires go...we regularly run 18-8 (8 wires) on many units that take 5....so dont worry about it.

Reply to
CBHvac