Removing skirting boards/screwhead plug removal - advice needed

I need to remove the skirtings in my new house. They've been fitted professionally with screws that are sunken and then with a wooden plug to cover the screwhead.

Is there a trick to removing the wood plug so as to get at the screw? The only alternative seems to be to crowbar them off and replace them.

Thanks.

Reply to
Kalico

only time I've done it is using a neodynium magnet to locate screw and drill out wood plug - normal drill them one with point ground off to get to the screw - works with polyfilla filled holes too but its harder to clear the head usually :-)

Reply to
Ghostrecon

Depending how well the plugs are glued in, and to the detriment of the plug, put a self tapping woodscrew (ie goldscrew, spax, etc) in dead center and drive home. The scre hits the embedded screw, stops descending, then corkscrews the plug out in 2-3 bits but without damaging the hole.

Obtain new plugs.

I know this works because I fitted my skirting like this and had to remove a bit once. Then I did allow for this and only used a hint of glue on the plugs.

Reply to
Tim Watts

What he said. The crafty (in both senses) old-school technique is to use shellac instead of glue, for ease of removal.

Reply to
Bolted

Assuming that you're going to refix the existing skirting:

I use an old flat-bladed screwdriver for this [1] [2]. Drive the screwdriver into the centre of the plug a short distance with the flat of the blade going with the grain and then gently lever the screwdriver back, and this should bring out a section of the plug making it easier to remove the rest by gently nibbling away at it. [3] [4]

[1] Use a blade that fits inside the diameter of the plug, leaving a clearance gap between the edge of the plug and skirting board. [2] If the screwdriver trick doesn't work (fairly often) then use an equivalent sized sharp wood chisel. [3] Don't lever the screwdriver/chisel beyond the edge of the plug as doing so will damage the wood beyond the plug. [4] If things ate a little difficult, drill a hole through the centre of the plug (about half the diameter and taking care not to damage the head of the screw) and then lever/nibble the remainder out. I wouldn't advise trying to drill the whole plug out as it will be difficult to control the drill at floor level.

If you're not going to refix the skirting, then using a suitably sized sharp wood chisel, simply cut a square hole around the plug until the head of the screw is revealed. NB: trying to lever a screwed-on skirting can sometimes do a fair bit of damage to the wall surface.

Cash

Reply to
Cash

I assume they're expensive hardwood in a natural finish if fixed in this way?

These plugs are normally glued in place with wood glue so won't come out. So will need to be drilled out in some way. If the fixing screws are brass or even mild steel a suitable cutter in a router would do it easily - but if that hits a hardened screw head goodbye to the cutter. Twist drills are cheap enough not to matter so much, and can be sharpened.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Good tip that, thanks.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Wow! Thanks to everyone for such great advice.

I tried what you suggested already, drilling a small hole and then screwing in a self-tapper, but sadly it just broke away the wood plug rather than driving it out neatly.

One section that I had to get off is already smashed to pieces and yes, it did make a mess of the wall, but I had to get behind it to sort out the ridiculous electrics that personify this house I've bought.

I'll persevere, with care, but cursing every few minutes.

Cheers to you all for the help.

Reply to
Kalico