OT - central heating turn on

This year we haven't turned on the CH yet and I am now wondering what is going to force our hand.

Below 15C indoors?

Below 10C indoors?

Ice on the inside of the windows in the morning?

In the fairly recent past with new combi boiler we seem to have had the thermostat set at 20C and the heating on most of the time. However this year with the mild weather (and back in the house with no thermostat) we sem to be managing O.K. so far with no heating.

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David WE Roberts

In message , David WE Roberts writes

So the thought of turning it on before you actually need it, just to check that it is working correctly hadn't crossed your mind?

Reply to
geoff

We've had ours on for weeks now. That does not mean, of course, that the boiler has been running continuously - because as the ambient temp. rises throughout the day, the thermostat stops the boiler from firing up. We like it nice and warm when we get up, however. Can't see the point of having a heating system and not using it...

Our house is just about as insulated as it possibly can be - and so once the thermostat triggers and turns the boiler off, it is a long time before more heat is required.

Reply to
Ret.

SWMBO screaming in the mornings "For FUCK'S SAKE TURN IT ON!!!"?

Reply to
Lobster

Mine's been on 2 or 3 times so far just to take the chill off the room. April - October inclusive (7 Months) have used 75kWh of which 5 were after flushing etc. Looks as if it'll be some time in November before heating's necessary.

Reply to
PeterC

We never turn ours off just let the programmable stat decide if heat is required. Just occasionally in mid summer it'll come one first thing in the morning and I think why? but generally if it comes on it's about the temp when we'd be thinking about turning it on anyway.

We've normally had our first snow by then. B-) This year there have been a couple of sleety periods already. The first was in mid October which was early.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

When it's less than than 22C internal temperature. Otherwise the cats get grumpy and three grumpy Siamese is not fun :) :)

Lee

Reply to
Lee

South African sister in law visiting.

We think it's unseasonably warm, she has frostbite.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Does one exist for SWMBO?

Reply to
The Other Mike

Everyone's temperature 'tolerance' levels are different. My wife and I often find when visiting relatives or friends in winter that we're freezing - whereas they don't seem to notice that it's cold. My wife's brother's house was always like an ice-box. They had the heating on first thing in the morning - and again in the evening, but throughout the day it was off. We would often make an excuse to pop out somewhere in the car - just to get warm!

Our heating comes on at 6 am and does not go off until 10pm.

Reply to
Ret.

Wouldn't work for me, as the 'stat's set to 16 to give 18 in the main living room and about 14 - 15 upstairs. ATM it's showing 17 so wouldn't come on anyway. I don't use the boiler for hot water.

Ah, I'm in the Sultry Sarf.

Reply to
PeterC

Yes - it was the basis for the Borg.

Reply to
PeterC

I never turn my central heating on, I have a thermostat and timer to do that for me.

JGH

Reply to
jgharston

Just tell her that you love her. That usually turns them on.

Reply to
ARWadsworth

I asked the same question last year:-)

Mine goes on when I feel cold and how cold I feel depends on where I am working. I am working on new builds at the moment so I am outside (or virtually outside) all day. I do not feel cold when I get home so the heating is off.

I did crank the heating up to 22 last weekend, but the gf's sister was stopping and she like to walks aroung the house in just her underwear. If the house is cold she wears a dressing gown.

Reply to
ARWadsworth

"Worcester-Bosch, you are the light of life..."? nah, tried that. She insists I press her button before there's any action there.

David

Reply to
Lobster

In message , The Other Mike writes

geoff

So, have you tried it at 25 degrees yet?

Reply to
Lobster

I turn ours off in the summer, for a couple of reasons.

  1. The HW is an old gravity system. So no valve controlling water flow, just the CH pump. Even when CH is off I get a bit of gravity flow in the CH system. The system is old and the main CH flow and return is in about
1 1/2" pipes. It runs along the bottom of the bedroom wall and a small upper landing and heats up those rooms unnecessarily (and makes the bedroom too hot in summer). So I manually close a valve on the CH system to stop the circulation and turn off heating. 2, It will fire up a bit and in late spring/late Autumn when we don't really need any heating and it doesn't seem to give any benefit (old Victorian house, big thermal mass, little bit's off heating don't have the same effect it seems as in a modern, better insulated and draft proofed house)

FWIW I turned the heating on couple of weeks ago when we had a colder spell.

Reply to
chris French

But your house has thick walls that store the heat and can take a week to store this heat. I've got a semi with cavity wall insulation that I can heat up within in 1 hour from cold.

Reply to
ARWadsworth