CH - Heating always on

When i turn on hot water the radiators always heat up too, even though on the programmer the CH is set to off. I want to be able to have HW on all the time and have the CH timed (which should be possible with my programmer).

I have a conventional gas boiler, potterton netaheat. A BG engineer recently came out to service it, did some checks etc, and now the heating always comes on with the HW. This used to work properly before.

Any ideas?

Reply to
jh

Stuck CH valve probably.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

My dad had exactly this problem. It turned out that someone had manually turned on the CH valve to dry out some paint. However, since the house was then too hot, the thermostat never called for heat. Which meant the CH valve never switched from manual-on to auto-on, and therefore never made it to auto-off either.

Or as described above - set to manual-on, and a well insulated house that doesn't cool down enough to actually need heating.

Ben

Reply to
Ben Blaukopf

It would not surprise me if the british gas engineer turned it to manual on and forgot to switch it back to auto. I'm not too familiar with CH systems so can you tell me where I should be looking to find the valve and the mechanism for setting it to manual or auto?

This could be it but somehow I think it has been set to manual-on.

Reply to
jh

Somewhere there will be a square metal box attached to a pipe with wires coming out of it, and on one end is a lever that can be pushed and latched into a slot. Unlatch it and it should slowly wind back to the other end, unless the CH is on, when it will pop back a little only.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Assuming you have a Y-Plan system with a single 3-port mid-position motorised valve, the most likely cause is that the manual lever on the valve has been operated, leaving the valve in the mid-position. The result of this is that, whenever the boiler and pump are running, hot water goes *both* to the HW cylinder *and* to the radiators.

If you release the lever - thus putting the valve back into auto mode - all should be well.

Reply to
Roger Mills

Ok, thats worked perfect! Thanks a million for everyones input, it has been most helpful.

Reply to
jh