Removing screwed-on plasterboard

Some over-hasty plasterboarding has to be redone in order to re-route some cabling. I've never had to do it: can the boards simply be unscrewed and then put back again, without damaging them?

Many thanks.

Reply to
Bert Coules

So long as the screws haven't been overtightened in the first place and crushed/broken the plaster within the paper (the bugle heads should /just/ be below the surface) then yes, but I'd probably tighten then back by hand, not drill/driver.

Reply to
Andy Burns

Thanks, Andy. Incidentally, I've not previously encountered the term "bugle heads"; interesting.

Reply to
Bert Coules

For plasterboard screws, they're phillips rather than pozi.

Reply to
Andy Burns

As I suppose the name is because there's a gentle curve from the shank out to the edge of the head.

Reply to
Bert Coules

Yes, if well supported. Go easy with the screws when replacing.

Same reason as you :)

Reply to
Tim Watts

That's right - designed to pull the board tight but not tear the paper.

They use philips heads so they cam out automatically when they are set deep enough and you are using the proper shrouded bit.

Reply to
John Rumm

Thanks, John.

Reply to
Bert Coules

Yes. But they're not very robust once removed from the frame behind. Always use bugle head plasterboard screws, never ordinary countersunk ones. The latter make a total pigs ear of PB.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Mine was a different reason ... I'd left my big maglite torch in the ceiling void after pulling the cables.

Reply to
Andy Burns

In principle, yes. But if the boards have been fitted tightly together, you may damage the edges when removing them. Try to work out in what order the boards were fitted, and remove them in the reverse order. - last in, first out, etc.

Reply to
Roger Mills

Thanks to everyone for the replies and advice; much appreciated.

Reply to
Bert Coules