Removing one floor tile

Got to go over my sons tomorrow to remove one floor tile that has a hairline crack, 18 x 18 inch tile put down 3 days ago with flexi floor cement. Tools at hand...angle grinder, SDS plus drill with chisel attach, cold chisel, crowbar, and the usual hammers etc. Whats the best plan of attack?

Reply to
ss

When I removed two porcelain floor tiles to tidy up after a radiator change I used a Bosch multi-tool with a semi-circular HM-RIFF blade to rout out the grout - your angle grinder with suitable blade will do the same but with a great deal of dust (someone holding the nozzle of an industrial vac near to the work may help to abate it a bit). Then I used my SDS with chisel bit from the centre of a tile working outwards to the de-grouted edges and finally cleaned up the remaining adhesive with a wide chisel.

Reply to
rbel

On Wednesday 27 November 2013 19:19 ss wrote in uk.d-i-y:

Angle grinder or multitool to clear the grout lines.

I would also cut down the middle of the tile and work outwards.

Reply to
Tim Watts

whats under them? floorboards?

Jim K

Reply to
Jim K

Thanks guys thats pretty much along the lines I was thinking of. Previous poster, he has a lining of plywood over whatever the existing flooring was so probably chipboard with a top layer of plywood for the tiles.

Reply to
ss

Grout scraper or oscillating saw to remove the grout. Then knock it off or break it up. I'd go gently, or more tiles will come loose.

NT

Reply to
meow2222