Removing large amounts of earth

I have had the plans passed on the renovation project and one of the first tasks will be to level the site.

I am putting a two storey side extension up and also need to level the rest of the width of the plot for car parking purposes.

At a very rough estimate I will have to remove something like 50m3 of soil (and some stone/concrete etc.) and was wondering what the cheapest way of doing this is. Standard Skips are out of the question at £115 a go.

I will be hiring a digger to do the levelling and I guess I am looking at pretty big pile of earth to be moved.

Any suggestions welcome.

Cheers

Martin

Reply to
Martin Carroll

If it's reasonably clean soil then "topsoil for sale" or "landscaping material for sale" might actually make you a profit. The secret is to find someone with an 'ole what needs filled.

Dig a hole and bury it:-)

Owain

Reply to
Owain

In message , Martin Carroll writes

Watch "The Great Escape"

Reply to
geoff

Topsoil costs =A3100 a cu metre in Homebase. It's cheaper in bulk (not from homebase), maybe as low as =A310 / cu metre for 10+ cu m (in Cambridge area)

Robert

Reply to
RobertL

You're going to need a very large vaulting horse & extreemly baggy trousers for 50m3.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Grab lorry at 20 tonnes* and about =A3200 each. They're so big they can actually sort of dig to some extent too.

  • 20 tonnes or 20 square yards or 20 square metres depending on who you talk to.

Or one of those giant skips.that's as big a big truck.

Reply to
adder1969

I forgot, or hire a truck and take it to a waste site yourself.

Reply to
adder1969

I put a couple of cubic metres out the front with the sign "free to a good home" on it

It was still there two months later

Reply to
geoff

Ask the digger driver, or his employer. If you can, get one contract "excavate and cart away" - then it's someone else's problem if either the digger or the lorry breaks down. Otherwise there's scope for endless rows about waiting time. Discuss with your chosen contractor whether you'll be able to segregate the loads, so some will be just resellable soil. If there's any tarmac at all, either don't admit it, and make sure it's at the bottom of the lorry-load of concrete, or (better) skip it separately. They charge more if there's tarmac in the load.

Reply to
Autolycus

That's all very well, but how are you going to make large lumps of clay drop neatly down your trouser legs without people thinking that there is something unfortunate happening?

Reply to
Andy Hall

Listen. If you can turn carrots into fluffy white rabbits, this is a mere bagatelle.

Reply to
Andy Hall

Or lots of underweight illegal immigrants in Mr Blobby costumes taking frequent walks in local parks.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Well duh, you should have put some security fencing round it. Then some fick pikeys would have thought it was worth something and nicked it.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

In message , Andy Hall writes

Yeah, and if David Blane or whoever it was managed to magic away the statue of liberty and the great wall of china, surely a few spadefulls of soil shouldn't be too difficult for you

Reply to
geoff

practice ?

Reply to
geoff

Can't you arrange it so that you can use the spoil from high bits to raise low bits? Not only do you not have the problem of removal, you also only need to move about half as much earth..

Colin Bignell

Reply to
nightjar

In article , nightjar writes

By level, I mean reduce! So there are no low bits.

Reply to
Martin Carroll

Take all the soil. Put it in 25Kg bags. In one of these bags place 200 pounds. Advertise this fact, and offer the bags free.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

What I meant was, can't you change the design so that the finished height is different, meaning that there would be low bits to fill in?

Colin Bignell

Reply to
nightjar

Yeah, never thought of that psychological approach

Reply to
geoff