Removing labels from laptop

How can I safely remove the "Intel Inside" label from a laptop?

Reply to
Chris

Fein Multi-Master.

Reply to
Frank Erskine

Angle grinder.

If it's had the Windows monitor installed, you also need to take out the disk drive and pop along to your local government secure establishment. These places have special crushing and data destruction facilties.

Reply to
Andy Hall

It's disastrous for some plastics, especially polycarbonate, so be careful where you use it.

Dom.

Reply to
Dom

In article , cerberus writes

Popular opinion would appear to disagree:

"Plastic dissolving agent?

Where can i find a liquid or some kind of product that seperates plastic from metal, or dissolves plastic?

Best Answer - Chosen By Voters

Acetone will soften or dissolve most plastic and would be the safest. Acetone is flammable so handle with care."

Courtesy of Yahoo Answers (for my shame).

To O/P I would recommend peeling the label off with a fingernail then removing the residue with a benign solvent, say IPA (isopropyl alcohol).

Reply to
fred

Peel off, then dab off any sticky residue with sellotape.

Reply to
Mike Harrison

Chris brought next idea :

Peel off, then spray any sticky residue with WD40 and wipe.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

That's rather unnecessary - Windows has built-in data destruction facilities.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Do a product search for "label remover"

or goto Robert Dyas or similar hardware store, where you can buy products like this:

go to your local Maplin store:

which contain orange oil are good for removing sticker residue and don't affect most plastics.

Rumble

I never really thought about doing this, but mind seems to just peel off

tim

Reply to
tim.....

Agree dont use acetone - my wifes Dell laptop is very badly marked as a result ( by me) ! Try Sticky stuff remover or equivalent. Robert

Reply to
robert

Leave it on and spend your time getting a life!

MBQ

Reply to
manatbandq

Sequestrate some of your wife's nail-varnish remover (acetone), it'll dissolve the adhesive. It doesn't harm plastic, it's used in the plastics industry as a cleaner....acetone that is ;-)

Don.

Reply to
cerberus

It's not often you are wrong, but when you are right, you are certainly right :-)

Dave

Reply to
Dave

Just pull it off, (slowly, steadily); any glue remaining will probably roll up into a ball with itself if rubbed with a finger. Finish off with isopropanol.

Reply to
djc

Peel the label. Steal the rubber (eraser) from your children's bags. Rub. Any more than that, it's decoration.

Reply to
Aidan Karley

"Safely" in what sense? If you just rip the label off, I'm sure the operation of the laptop will be unimpaired. If you want to re-use the label, that's another matter of course.

Reply to
Mike Barnes