Removing border - latex adhesive.

Trying to remove a border from the wall, it was stuck using the pukka Laura Ashley adhsive. This appears to have been very rubbery stuff. Using normal wallpaper stripper leaves the adhesive on the wall.

Any tips on how to remove it?

Reply to
Steve Pearce

Hi,

Are you sure it's latex and not contact glue?

If latex try a very sharp scraper and possibly some household ammonia or ammonia based window cleaner - try on an inconspicuious area first!

cheers, Pete.

Reply to
Pete C

Even household ammonia will blow your head off, and wouldn't logically have any effect on modern adhesives. I'd try white spirit first, then a little paint stripper as a last resort

Reply to
stuart noble

On Tue, 12 Oct 2004 11:09:54 +0100, "stuart noble" any effect on modern adhesives. I'd try white spirit first, then a little

Hi,

A small amount of ammonia is the solvent in latex glue, so larger concentrations might do it. It can always be diluted down, and the remainder used for window cleaner. Citrus cleaner is another alternative and is nicer smelling.

Anhydrous ammonia _will_ blow your head off....

cheers, Pete.

Reply to
Pete C

Is it by golly? I'll remember that.

I can't believe you can still buy household ammonia in a supermarket. Even adding it to a bucket of water, you need to turn your head away. But then spraying caustic soda in a confined space (the oven) isn't too nice either.

Reply to
stuart noble