Removing aphid goo from a car roof.

How can I remove the goo from Aphids after parking under a tree. I read that you can use nail polish remover (acetone). The car has metallic paintwork and a lacquer. I also saw rubbing alcohol. What is rubbing alcohol. I think this is an American term.

Kevin

Reply to
Kevin

+1, albeit with some detergent. Rubbing alcohol is surgical spirit:
Nick

be VERY careful of acetone. Its veryactive against paint and highly inflammable.

YOu can buy a special insect gunk, but try a mixture of diesel and washing up liquid.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I place an old towel soaked with water (wet kitchen towels or wet baby wipes for small areas) over the spot so the goo (or bird shit) softens for 15 minutes helps with removal.

Reply to
alan

be VERY careful of acetone. Its veryactive against paint and highly inflammable.

YOu can buy a special insect gunk, but try a mixture of diesel and washing up liquid.

Reply to
Kevin

Be careful, not always what you think. Is it a lime tree? They seem to secrete goo. I'd just use ipa or similar, Acetone is likely to compromise the finish. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Nail varnish remover, and old cellulose car paint is, basically, nail varnish. It will also crinkle synthetic enamels, as I learnt when I was painting a coach many years ago. Cellulose paint on top of synthetic crinkles, the other way round is safe.

Reply to
John Williamson

Not a lime, some sort of birch.

Be careful, not always what you think. Is it a lime tree? They seem to secrete goo. I'd just use ipa or similar, Acetone is likely to compromise the finish. Brian

Reply to
Kevin

Nail varnish remover, and old cellulose car paint is, basically, nail varnish. It will also crinkle synthetic enamels, as I learnt when I was painting a coach many years ago. Cellulose paint on top of synthetic crinkles, the other way round is safe.

Reply to
Kevin

Use IPA? what a waste of good beer

Reply to
charles

What is IPA?

Be careful, not always what you think. Is it a lime tree? They seem to secrete goo. I'd just use ipa or similar, Acetone is likely to compromise the finish. Brian

Reply to
Kevin

I found (by accident - wrong bottle!) that bilberry wheel cleaner appears to shift it with no effort at all. Spray it, leave 30 seconds, wipe it off.

This was mixed 5:1 with water.

This stuff:

It's brilliant on wheels, and excellent on the black crap left from tree sap and/or/ aphids :-)

YMMV

Darren

Reply to
D.M.Chapman

Isopropyl alcohol, 2-propanol, isopropanol.

Reply to
polygonum

Or, in another group I frequent, India Pale Ale.

Reply to
John Williamson

Is that what what they call rubbing alcohol

Isopropyl alcohol, 2-propanol, isopropanol.

Reply to
Kevin

Sometimes.

Wiki he says:

Rubbing alcohol, USP / Surgical spirit, B.P. is a liquid prepared and used primarily for topical application. It is prepared from a special denatured alcohol solution and contains approximately 70 percent by volume of pure, concentrated ethanol (ethyl alcohol) or isopropyl alcohol (isopropanol).[1] Individual manufacturers can use their own "formulation standards" in which the ethanol content usually ranges from

70-99% v/v.[2] In Ireland and the UK, the equivalent skin preparation is surgical spirit, which is always an ethyl alcohol-isopropyl alcohol mixture. It is colorless. The melting point is -89 °C. The boiling point is 82.5 °C.
Reply to
polygonum

Wash thoroughly, then a clay bar. Polish afterwards.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Wash thoroughly, then a clay bar. Polish afterwards.

Reply to
Kevin

As it says. It's a special type of clay. Removes grime etc from the paint without taking off any paint (unlike T-Cut etc which does) and leaves it smooth as silk. Think you can now get them in Halfords. For those who are sceptical as it's a US thing, they're absolutely brilliant.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

If people want clay then I recommend the "3M" blue bars available on ebay from various Chinese sellers.

Can usually pick it up for under 3 quid delivered if you wait and while I'm sure it's probably fake it is pretty good. Certainly as good as most you'll find in halfords for 5 times the price.

Still recommend bilberry though - much less hassle :-) (but then I'm lazy)

Darren

Reply to
D.M.Chapman