Laying ceramic floor tiles

HI all,

I'm going to be laying these over quarry tiles; something I've never done before. What sort of underlay is required? Any potential pitfalls (in terms of layout perhaps) one should be aware of?

cheers.

Reply to
orion.osiris

On Sunday 07 July 2013 13:48 snipped-for-privacy@virgin.net wrote in uk.d-i-y:

No underlay is required.

You will be able to use your regular cementious tile adhesive straight onto the quarry tiles - I did. If they are sound they will be as good a bed as screed or concrete.

The main pitfall is if the tiles have been waxed. You need all the wax off as that is the agent that will cause the bond to fail.

If you've been washing the quarry tiles and have not waxed it for at least a year I think you'll be fine.

Give it a final scrub with a good detergent in hot water and a stiff brush (wire brush even).

If they have been waxed recently, I suspect a more industrial approach with some professional wax remover chemical would be worth investigating.

Reply to
Tim Watts