Removing a stubborn hose

Hi all

I am having trouble with the heater in the car. I suspect the heater matrix is bunged up so want to flush it out in case. I have managed to get one of the hoses off the heater matrix but the other one seems welded on. Anyone have any bright ideas to get it off? I have tried

- rolling it back from the end

- squirting some WD40 as best I could between the hose and metal pipe it is on

- gripping the hose and trying to rotate it (doesn't move)

Also, anyone had any experience with cleaning solutions for this? I am conc erned that it might dislodge something and case a leak.

All help appreciated

Thanks

Lee.

Reply to
leenowell

They can be buggers. I assume you have removed the clips completely. If you have access (and often you don't) it might be worth trying to insert a thin pointy object between the pipe and the hose. Something like a scriber, bradawl, or small electrical screwdriver. If you can, work it around as much as you can to free up the "stuck" area.

Reply to
newshound

Yes.. clip is completely off (ie on the hose but beyond the end of the metal pipe). Access is very tight with the end of the hose about 50mm from the bulk head. Wonder if I can find a right angled thin thing as you describe

Thanks

Lee.

Reply to
leenowell

Apply some heat from a hot air gun? Worth getting a replacement before you proceed in case you wreck the current hose?

Reply to
Kevin H

I usually use a kettle full of boiling water to soften the end. maybe lubricate it with diluted washing up liquid to lubricate it when putting it back again.

Reply to
alan_m

Allen key?

Reply to
Bob Eager

Always fit new hoses when they wont come opf easily.The cost is low, and you can split the old one with no compunction

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Thanks all for your help. The winning combination was boiling water and All en key so thanks both for your suggestions. I poured the boiling water on t he hose which softened it considerably. Then putting the Allen key between the hose and pipe and then running it around the pipe freed it perfectly.

Thanks again

Lee.

Reply to
leenowell