Removing a chimney

Not too many years ago I would have taken a chimney down myself but I think I'll give it a miss this time!

Anyone any idea on how much I might expect to pay to have a chimney (2 bricks x 2 bricks x 13 bricks high) removed and the resultant gap tiled over?

2 men at £100 each, plus materials at about £75...say another £75 for profit and getting rid of the bricks, so £350 ish.

They should have it done in about 5 hours....forget scaffold and all that s**te, it's totally unnecesary, the bloke on the roof will lower down 3 or 4 bricks in a bucket on a rope until it's all down, and this is the only use of a second man - without him it would be probably a full day for one

Reply to
Phil L

Would you be allowed under H&S regs to do that without scaffold?..

Reply to
tony sayer

Seems to be a grey area. If every loose slate required scaffolding, nothing would ever get done, and roofers would be out of a job.

Reply to
stuart noble

Reply to
Phil L

And not just roofers, window cleaners, aerial fitters, even plumbers and electricians often have need to go on rooves

Reply to
Phil L

How else do we manage to fit the England flags to our chimneys?

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Reminds me of a numpty I know a few years ago ( who shall remain nameless!).

Working on his roof, he tied a rope to car in back garden, went up ladder at the back and up and over so he could work on the front part of his roof.

He heard his wife start the car at the back so he ran up the roof and down the other side to shout to her to stop but he lost his footing and fell off into the back yard...to add insult to injury it wasn't even his car being started, it was someone else's further down the street.

Same bloke a few months later came up to my brother (who worked with him at the time) holding out a lump hammer, screaming, 'get it off, get it off' at the top of his voice...our kid was thinking 'WTF' - it turns out he'd been trying to get the hammer head back down tight onto the shaft and whilst holding the shaft and banging it on the floor, he'd caught his skin between the head and the shaft!!

Reply to
Phil L

When I was even more foolish than I am now, I was working on a roof of asbestos tiles replacing a few that had those copper clips missing and had slid down. The roof was an awkward shape and I couldn't get a ladder at the places where the job had been left (guess why.)

The roof was slightly damp after frost. I found myself sitting on the lawn thinking: WTF? So I climbed back up for more of the same. I was ready for the second event but I still had to finish the job. God knows what any neighbours were thinking after the third time.

Reply to
Weatherlawyer

I know just what it's like. I was once working on the roof of a house in France. Not having a roof ladder, we walked up the asbestos roof of the single storey kitchen and onto the main roof. After a while it began to rain hard and we decided to climb down, only to find the roof of the kitchen like an ice slide! We actually decended by sitting on it one by one and sliding down while holding onto the aerial wire.

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

Such a clever idea would warrant lifting the spark plugs leads off, removing the starter motor, welding the brake pads to the discs and of course doing it some other way :-)

Reply to
dave