Removing a broken screw

Had half an 80 mm screw (5mm diameter) break off level with the surface of mortar between bricks yesterday. It was held in by a plastic wallplug.

Having wondered about using a screw remover, drilling it out, and several other suggestions on the internet, I thought about using heat. I have a soldering head for a gas-powered blow lamp, so heated that up and applied it to the end of the screw for a few minutes. After a while I pushed some narrow-nosed pliers into the soft plastic on either side of the screw and was able to grip it and turn the screw a little. After repeating this a few times the screw was out enough to grip it properly . After about 15 mm was out, I was able to pull it out with the remains of the plug.

Maybe this has already been suggested, and of course it would be of less use with a screw in a heat-sensitive surface. But it might prove useful if other methods fail.

Reply to
Jeff Layman

I might have tried to cut a slot in the end using a multi-tool (which everyone has, don't they ?) and just unscrewing it. Or has it gone rusty and jammed solid ?.

Reply to
Andrew

Good idea.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

Maybe this is the way to stop tower blocks going up in flames, low temperature melting fixings. That meads the cladding falls off and only kills passers by. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff