remove lead from windows?

I'm patching my house windows, - photo at

'm squirting foam deep into the gaps, then using flexible frame sealant on top of that, then primer then white paint.

But in the window photoed there is a layer of lead between the wood and the stone.

I plan to remove it- thinking it was a buffer between lime cement and the wood, but now I'm using foam it would only get in the way and make the joint less water tight.

Am I right to do this, or should I leave the lead in place?

any other recomendations/

[george]
Reply to
george (dicegeorge)

george (dicegeorge)

Dear Dicegeorge What is wrong with leaving it in place? If the purpose of the foam is to gap fill and secure / insulate, then use a tube to put it behind the area you want to put in the mastic I personally would no bother as I suspect that a decent load of polysulphide mastic or some 797 would do the job without it I suspect the purpose of the lead is as a dpm (which is required for present building regs) and is only commonsense. I have been putting in windows with dpms to isolate timber masonry contact for over 30 years and it is bog standard dry rot prevention practice.

Chris

Reply to
Rad

Interesting. I've never seen this. And the pic looks like it's a pretty old house.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

because dampness could seep in the gap between the lead and the wood

yes there are huge gaps around some of the wood (lots of windows to do) and the tubes of filler would work out very expensive so on the one window i've done i filled the gaps with foam then put a layer of window sealant on top, and painted that.

Last year I used plaster cement but it has cracked so that's not good enough. (but cheap for filling)

is that the same as the stuff i've got called flexible window sealant? Polycell Flexible Gap Polyfilla 3820010 White is £3.98 at B&Q which is too expensive to use as the sole gap filler...

I dont have 'commonsense' because i havent worked in building before!

99% of the damp has been rain getting in the huge gaps, Is it necessary to go wood / sealant / plastic DPM / foam and plaster cement filler and stone or is it ok to put foam between the wood and stone inside, and a thin layer of window mastic on the surface between the wood and stone and outside air/rain? [george]
Reply to
george (dicegeorge)

having been up the ladder and looked and thunk again i've now squirted some flexible sealent between the lead and the wood, and will fill the big gap between the lead and the stone with foam and some kind of filler, unless better ideas come along.

thanks

[g]
Reply to
george (dicegeorge)