Draughts from suspended floor.

Living room is really cold at floor level, guessing it's because of suspended floor. I also notice gaps between the flooring and skirting.

What should be be looking at doing to sort this out? I am soon getting new carpets fitted, so have a window of opportunity to sort this out, so next winter is toasty.

Can I get something like this done on the government "green deal"?

Thanks.

Reply to
MarkG1234

You want to keep well away from this "green non-deal". I think it's being run by Wonga with similar interest rates.

Reply to
Eric

I was cautious, as it appeared that you need to pay for a survey =

(=A3300ish), which didn't consist of anything clever like a thermal imag= ing =

survey of your property, just some a check so see if you were already =

doing the right things (energy saving bulbs, A++ rated equipment, 270mm = of =

loft insulation, cavity wall insulation and other common sense shit).

Reply to
MarkG1234

IF you are carpetiing, there's a simple remedy.

1/. tack hardboard tight down over the existing floor and seal any gaps with tape. 2/. Use a flexible mastic - I'd suggest decorators caulk - to seal between the skirting and the hardboard. 3/. Then lay carpet over quality foam underlay.

You will get about 80% as good insulation that way as by lifting the boards and using celotex between the joists.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

In message , The Natural Philosopher writes

Having just fitted new skirting in my hall, December 2012, I have done just that and although there were only very minor gaps with the floor/wall, it has made a great difference. The hall is now a lot warmer than it has been for many years.

Well worth doing.

Reply to
Bill

Maybe your house has a ghost?

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Same situation here although the carpets wont be for a few weeks yet. I could feel a draught on my feet when even slightly windy. I used caulk to fill gaps between floor and skirting and the draughts have all but gone.

Reply to
ss

See if google hasn't lost the recent thread on this. Several suggestions were made.

Personally I'd just ram folded/rolled newspaper into the gap. It doesn't take much to stop a draught, no need for expensive messy sealnats that bond te skirting to the floor.

I doubt it. That's for major things like cavity wall or loft insulation, jacket on the HW tank, double glazing and possibly solid wall insulation.

Green Deal is more of a rebranding of Warmfront than anything else, along with extending it to everyone if they pay via the loan/levi on the properties electricity bill. Does Green Deal scrap the free/nominal cost of these property improvements for the elderly and those on certain benefits?

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Did try some decorator's caulk, the problem is, alot of the time, you just pump it in, and it disappears in and under never to be seen again :-( There is no expansion properties to the stuff, the other extreme is expanding foam, but that's WAY to hard to control (40x expansion).

Is there something inbetween? Somethign that's sticky, but only expands to 2-3x it's size?

Reply to
MarkG1234

Low expansion foam!

When I had some rather large gaps to fill I ran a bead of caulk along each side of the gap so that it stuck to the sides and when it had started to go off ran another bead on to the first one and built up the gap that way. Not very strong, but airtight.

In message , MarkG1234 writes

Reply to
Bill