Remote switching of mains device

I have mains power going to a few things around the garden and I need to be able to reliably switch them on/off from the house. Is there a gizzmo that will do what I want? Wireless might be OK but the furthest is about 50m from the house and there are some shrubs and trees in the way so something that modulated control signals onto the mains supply would be preferable ... ?

Reply to
nothanks

Well are you saying these use mains voltage plugs outside? I know my garden lights can be switched by wireless from down the street wirelessly, as long as the mains switcher part is near a window.

I'm sure there must be many devices like this. I do not like using signals down the mains myself. Creates interference and the simpler ones tend to get triggered by noise or get stuck on.

What about the way the home automation under voice control works. I am not sure what system these actually use but they can switch individual bulbs and change their colour, switch on slow cookers etc, even control the heating. Its only a matter of time till you can use this stuff to have a light show in your garden I'm sure. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

X-10 used to be the standard for control over the mains a decade ago when I used it at my last place. Worked well.

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

Switches work quite well. A bit more info in the question would surely help.

Reply to
tabbypurr

Maybe try a US based forum. They're mad for home automation.

Reply to
Jethro_uk

Regular switches aren't terribly good for operation at 50m distance - my arms aren't that long.

Reply to
nothanks

:) I assumed they were being powered from the house.

You should have told us your arms aren't that long!

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

ZWave now is almost certainly the winner in terms of multi vendor support and array of devices available. There's lots of British stuff too like 13A sockets and adaptors.

Reply to
Tim Watts

Not quite what wanted but do have a look at

Or indeed anything else they make

ARW

sonoff stuff, its based on an ESP8266 and can do loads of stuff with the right firmware loaded.

Reply to
dennis

Thanks - they look interesting. I think the spec is "up to 70m" which, could mean 1m - do you have any experience of the real-world range?

Reply to
nothanks

Hmm, I hadn't thought of going the IOT route. I could add a wifi repeater at the nearest end of the house and have a dedicated SSID for remote control of any outside "stuff". I like the idea but I think my wife would struggle because she seems to think that mobile phones are devices for hiding, storing discharged batteries in or, at most, making phone calls with :-(

Reply to
nothanks

I was going to suggest the SonOff devices, but thought WiFi might struggle.

The basic (~£4) ones can be hacked easily. Once done, you can access them via a web page with two buttons on it - On and Off!

Reply to
Bob Eager

For SWMBO to use it I'd need a way to operate it by a physical switch :-(

Reply to
nothanks

Another ESP8266 and a bit of hacking could do that too! But probably more hassle than you want, although I must try it myself some time...

Reply to
Bob Eager

Probably cheaper from china.

Reply to
dennis

There is the problem.

I know that they work from 10m inside a house without the extra antenna mentioned in the links.

It would be at least two weeks before I could test the ones I have fitted for distance.

Give their tech support a call? It's not like you are wasting their time, they get paid to answer your call and answer your questions about their products.

Reply to
ARW

Yes, I'll give them a call.

Reply to
nothanks

Maybe worth looking at: Quinetic Wireless Switches from TLC Direct.

Only used them on a loft light myself so far.

Reply to
Robert