OT - Moth Identification

I know its mostly OT except that I was digging up a tree root when I saw this and that nearly counts as DIY.

4 very large moths (2 pairs) each individual moth about the length and diameter of my thumb.

Anyone able to identify these (I have looked on google but there are thousands and many of them look alike)

Seen in the south of England

Chris B

My Dorling Kindersley "Wildlife" reference book thinks they may be Privet Hawk Moths.

Nick

Reply to
Nick Odell

They appear to have a head at both ends! I take it that they are two pairs in the shot. The lower moth of each pair seems smaller than the upper moth. Probably the males, and they're probably mating. A privet hawk moth seems likely, but there are quite a few species of hawk moths.

Reply to
Chris Hogg

Think thats a hawk moth of some sort

Not enough detail to ID which one