Refrigerant release

Trying to find the legal situation on release of R600a from end of life domestic refrigeration. Anyone have any pointers? Cheers.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

replying to tabbypurr, Iggy wrote: Crack it open and let it go, it's the same exact stuff as what's in non-alcohol lighters and their re-fillers, portable "butane" torches and aerosol cans. Preferably, a gentle and slow use of a Wheeled Pipe Cutter to avoid any ignition heat and start a release, before your hand or glove freezes.

Reply to
Iggy

I can't imagine that you would be prosecuted if your fridge were to develop a leak.

Reply to
Bob Minchin

More helpfully maybe here?

Bob Minchin

But R600a isn't a fluorinated gas, it's isobutane.

Reply to
Andy Burns

Just stick it at the end of your garden wall and let the pikey scrap men have it.

Reply to
Mr Pounder Esquire

Yes, afaics that Act fairly much confirms that release of isobutane is not covered by it. Thank you.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

No never seen any Refrigeration Police about with their sniffer dogs maybe? I do not know the various differences in the gasses used, but obviously if you were in the business of advertising a fridge disposal service and you did not have gas capture systems, then that might have some rules, but if its just your fridge and it leaks in use then how can one do much about it. I'd also say that in some cases certain 'recycling centres' may direct you to take it to another facility if its still gassed. I also wonder about the car air conditioners and those on buildings as the former seem always to be losing their gas, and the latter in a building that is to come down seem to be given scant regard by the demolition company and bulldozed with the rest. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

That sounds like what cows give off. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff