reduce diameter of broom handle to fit broom head

The broom handle has broken near the head.
I want to cut the broken bit of the handle and refit the head
The original handle was reduced in diameter at the end to fit the hole in the broom head.
The fitting on the head is plastic so can't make hole bigger
I need to reduce the diameter of the handle along a length of 2" to fit into head. It needs to be uniform for a good fit.
I have no lathe.
I've tried to do this before using a table saw tuning the handle held against the mitre gauge against the blade.
It sort of works but it really needs a jig of some sort to be safe and accurate.
Any body got any good ideas other than buy a new broom ?
Chris
On 20/02/2012 12:22, snipped-for-privacy@REMOVEbundy.co.uk wrote:

I'd go for sanding rather than sawing. I happen to have a bench-mounted belt sander, and it's not too difficult to do by hand with one of these. Otherwise, the quick way to sand wood is with a sanding disk in, yes, you've guessed, an angle grinder. You can finish off by hand with sandpaper.
Newshound wrote:

power planer works(-ish) at least to pull material off fast.
You could make a pole lathe

Or (shock horror), a Surform.
--
Today is Sweetmorn, the 51st day of Chaos in the YOLD 3178
"Threatening an atheist with hellfire is no more effective than a

Just an aside...
I've had a Surform plane for around 40 years. It was only used occasionally, and I hadn't seen it for several years. Recently, I realised that it was a good tool for what I wanted to do, so I dug it out from where it was hiding. Then it suddenly dawned on me, "Is it pronounced "sir form", or is it "sure form" (which is what I've always called it)?
--
Ian

AFAIK, the latter.
--
Today is Sweetmorn, the 51st day of Chaos in the YOLD 3178
"Threatening an atheist with hellfire is no more effective than a
On 20/02/2012 17:30, Ian Jackson wrote:

I have always used the former...
--
Cheers,

John.

On Mon, 20 Feb 2012 18:55:52 +0000, John Rumm

<AOL> Me too </AOL>
--
Frank Erskine

surf-orm in our family.
--
Mike Barnes

Thanks for the three 'verdicts'. Actually, I really meant to say I called "sir form", so I guess that "sir-form" or "surf-orm" wins 4 to 3.
--
Ian

Ian Jackson wrote:

all wrong, "cheese grater"
Surfirm pronounce like “sir” form. From the Latin word sur meaning over and above.

You’re replying to a 6 year old message and you can’t even spell “Surform” correctly.
Tim
--
Please don't feed the trolls

Yes I have had this same broom for 10 years its only had two new handles and4 new heads. Bryan
--
----- --
On Feb 20, 12:22pm, snipped-for-privacy@REMOVEbundy.co.uk wrote:

Buy a new broom, life's to short!

Buy a new broom, life's to short!
That is the correct answer.
On 20/02/2012 15:37, Graham Jones wrote:

Reminds me of the Only Fools and Horses sketch with trigger saying he had the same broom for 30 years....
It had 10 new heads and 7 handles it that time though....
--
Regards
Camdor.
Mike Barnes wrote: