Wood broom handle fit problem

I have a new product to manufacture for a new customer. A hardwood block, that has two brushes glued and nailed to it, has a 7/8" x 2" deep hole to receive a 7/8" broom handle. A small hole goes all the way through the block for a screw that will go through the block and into the broom handle's end. We will apply glue to the joint. The problem is that the handles range from .851" to .883 in a random measurement of 12 pieces in a 100 piece bundle. These are imported as imports have almost completely displaced domestic suppliers. I can have the block supplier make any sized hole. Even with the carpenter's glue and a # 10 screw, I fear the joint won't hold up. I can't spend a lot of money to do something fancy like a blind wedge (That WOULD be the ticket) so, I'm hoping for magic. Any magic to spare?

Reply to
Tom Gardner

Welcome to the wonderful world of imports. I have two suggestions: Taper the hole and the broom handle to form a fit within your tolerance.

Reply to
sweetsawdust

Tom Gardner schrieb:

Glue them in with epoxy

regards Matthias

Reply to
Matthias Muehe

Reply to
Tom H

Why not remill the end to .85 and have the blocks milledd to .85

If you want get fancy, you can artificially drop the moisture content of the handles (just the end) by jamming them in a bucket of heated sand (chairmaker's trick) for an hour or three, mill and assemble right away. As the joint returns to equalibrium it will swell and become tighter.

-Steve

Reply to
Stephen M

how bout cutting threads on the poles and in blocks. this will bring them all to a standard size. i have seen tools for this somewhere perhaps rockler. like a tap and dye for wood. ross

Ross Hebeisen