Red face over fitted wardrobe shelves.

..........Or put in an additional shelf at the required height. Just sell her the idea you are giving her additional shelf space.

Reply to
ss

This is turning out to be quite the troublesome screw.

Reply to
Mike Halmarack

At Last, someone who makes the solution seem easy.

Reply to
Mike Halmarack

The obvious answer is to cut out the centre part of the two lower shelves, insert two new verticals, and a new shelf halfway, to make two central cubbyholes for taller items including the box file.

Bonus points if you can find some pretty baskets or plastic tubs to fit the other cubbyholes (allow clearance for door width).

The upper half then remains unobstructed for jackets etc.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

The easy solution is put the document box elsewhere, or buy a slightly shorter one that fits in the shelves.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

buy her a pair of (thick) platform slippers.

Reply to
critcher

thought she was too short to reach shelf.

Reply to
critcher

Owain, you're a multi-craft phenomenon.

Reply to
Mike Halmarack

As I've never heard of these nuts, I did some googling and found this video showing how to install one in an Ikea kit. It shows one camnut between two wooden dowels, so that the shelf is fixed at three points along its edge.

I'm wondering if the nut can be rotated and then prised out of the hole, exposing the head of the pin that is screwed into the wardrobe wall. Then perhaps this head could be rotated bit by bit with a small pair of pliers to unscrew it from the wall. If so, the shelf would still be supported by two wooden dowels, but these could be sawn through with a thin-bladed saw in the crack between the shelf and the wall?

The crack might be widened by forcing a screwdriver into it to make room for the saw.

Come to that, a thin-bladed saw could cut through the metal camnut even if it wasn't unscrewable.

Reply to
Dave W

not to short to reach it, just too short to open the lid and peer downward on the contents. That's what being a Pixie gets ya.

Reply to
Mike Halmarack

Doh!!!

Reply to
Mike Halmarack

I'm a bit dubious about that solution. She might get ideas above her station.

Reply to
Mike Halmarack

These are very convincing solutions and I appreciate the advice. It's simply that I just wanted to undo 6 screws and relocate the shelf.

Inconsolable, until I get distracted by the next LITTLE job on the list.

Reply to
Mike Halmarack

In that case, fit the new midway shelf as suggested, but put it on pull-out runners :-)

That way it won't need any empty space above it for the lid to open either.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

I am.

I have even installed a wireless doorbell for a friend :-)

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

Someone already suggested that using multitool.

Reply to
FMurtz

Not the first time that has been uttered. ;-)

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

But usually by Adam 8-0

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

Open it in a private session then clear all traces. Unfortunately so many sites now do this that you need to mitigate it if you want to do very much. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

I think you are effectively saying that the problem is with the box file?

Reply to
GB