Recycling

Some of which make it impossible to get all the jam out

and nobody wants them

Reply to
Stuart Noble

On Mon, 23 Jul 2007 12:50:20 +0100 someone who may be Mike Clarke wrote this:-

No problem. Government simply decrees that all beer will be sold in one bottle.

Incidentally at the same meeting as the glass man there was a man from a brewery. He thought that a standard bottle would be an excellent idea, though thought that his marketing colleagues might not think the same way.

Reply to
David Hansen

When was that?

In the forties, when I were a lad, we had 1 and 2lb jars but also fancy Rose's marmalade and various honey jars as well as peanut butter jars - there must have been more.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Another trouble is that whereas off-licences may be prepared to recycle bottles, most bottles are bought from 'super'markets, who aren't at all geared up via their supply chain to do the same.

Reply to
Frank Erskine

They probably really don't want to. However that doesn't mean it's not possible - see eg Norway, Austria. Probably requires leglislation.

cheers, clive

Reply to
Clive George

No no no - not *more* legislation purleez...

Reply to
Frank Erskine

Think *that's* a problem? Try a Marmite jar...

Reply to
Bob Eager

I didn't realise your surgery had been quite that drastic Mary!

Reply to
zikkimalambo

Twas in the 50's. We couldn't afford posh Rose's stuff or honey in them days, all the ordinary jam came in the same sort of plain jam jars.

Yes, peanut butter was a different matter.

Reply to
Mike Clarke

[snip]

Which, no doubt, the marketing people regard as a Good Thing. If you can't get it all out you break into the new jar sooner and they sell more jam.

No problem, when the Marmite jar reaches that state it waits in the kitchen 'til the next batch of soup is made. Swill it out with boiling water and add to the stock.

Reply to
Mike Clarke

Ah, yes, that would be part B2 of the shopping regs (as ammended in Aug

2009). You will only be allowed to buy glass jars if you can demonstrate you are a member of JARFI or have undertaken a government approved training course in jar scraping and swilling. (Oh and paid the correct bi-annual subscription of course, which must be linked into the national ID register and, due to an EDS cockup with the IT system, the new new version of the child protection agency record system). Although if you manage to buy one without being correctly registered there will be a regularisation procedure that you can follow by writing to your local council "glass container and sexual aids control department" with the relevant forms filled, and a postal order for £16.27 +VAT +council tax surcharge duty. They will then contact you to book and inspection of your spatula.
Reply to
John Rumm

You live and learn!

Mary