Recommendations for small paint sprayer wanted

I had a cheap little 'airless' paint sprayer bought in France a while ago and found it handy for certain jobs. It has now gone astray so I'm looking for a replacement, requirements (or 'nice to have') as follows:-

Reasonably priced (i.e not hundreds of pounds, my French one was 40 Euros I think)

Easy to clean with minimal use of liquid as this will be used away from home (often on a boat) away from bulk washing facilities

It would be *really* nice to have a 'wand' to make it easy to spray into awkward corners

Either 12 volts or less than 300 watts mains powered so I can tun it from my 500 watt inverter (copes with 200 watt multi-tool OK).

Any ideas? It's not for super professional finish, more for getting paint into every nook and cranny.

Reply to
Chris Green

Just searching around it seems that 12 volt compressors aren't all

*that* expensive so compressor + pressure paint sprayer might make sense. Any/all ideas most welcome.
Reply to
Chris Green

A 12 volt compressor will just not hack it, you would need much more air volume.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Er, it surely depends on the type of compressor. I don't mean one intended just for inflating tyres. I have 4 x 100Ah 12 volt batteries to power it.

For example:-

However that one is a bit more than I want to spend!

Reply to
Chris Green

You need a vast amount of air to spray things - unless a tiny area. HVLP (basically a fan) is much more efficient than a conventional compressor.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

OK, so I want an HVLP sprayer, at least one thing is decided. :-)

Thanks.

At the moment a Wagner W100 (or W550 as sold by Argos seems the same) would appear to be a candidate, any comments?

Reply to
Chris Green

Dunno. I have an Apollo. Pretty old now, but not a bad bit of kit. Turbine is also useful for drying out pipes before soldering. ;-)

But just as difficult as any other to clean the gun.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Just don't expect to be able to decorate a room without masking off, or even removing furniture, like these numpties!

Reply to
Andy Burns

Couldn't take anything he said seriously once he complained that using a sprayer without a mask meant he inhaled some dust.

Reply to
soup

Earlex takes a reasonable amount of abuse.

Reply to
Adam Aglionby

I have a Earlex electric unit .... works well enough ... fence etc. wouldn't want to try & paint a car with it

Reply to
rick

Not sure any airless type is OK for things like cellulose paint. But there are HVLP types which are - for a lot less than a decent high pressure setup. And are much easier to store. A decent compressor takes up a lot of room, and isn't really portable.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I've (OP) bought a Wagner W610, about £70. It has the gun separate from the blower which I felt was important for me. So far I'm quite impressed, I'm aimimg to get the gun with a long nozzle for it so I can fire paint etc. into the nether regions of my boat.

Reply to
Chris Green

That's a good price if it's OK. My Apollo - similar idea with separate gun and turbine - was about 200 quid many years ago.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Can save a tenner buying from amazon

Reply to
Andy Burns

Just had a look at it. Less than half the power of my Apollo, so I'd guess not like for like.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

The spec for the W610 varies from place to place! :-) I was quite surprised when the actual booklet that comes with it says 450 watts. That's actually a bit more than I wanted because it's doubtful if my

500 watt inverter on the boat can manage it. However I'm aiming to get a bigger inverter.

I don't need a 'big' area sprayer anyway, if I spray 1 sq metre it will be a large area for me. The point of the sprayer for me is to get coverage into awkward corners.

I was also aware that my £70 wasn't the cheapest but I was in a hurry, going to France with it the next day.

Reply to
Chris Green