In the timber merchant today.

"I want some 4 x 2 please,"

"What length?"

"2.4 metre."

"Anything else?"

"Some 18 mm ply."

"What size?"

"4 ft x 2 ft."

We haven't quite adopted this metric lark, have we?

Reply to
David Lang

Good! My first boss at work called it 'metrifuction'. (Spelling optional).

I was, in 1977, at the Hope Slide in BC, Canada. There was an information board at the site, which had clearly been written in Imperial units. But then Canada had got metricated, and somebody had come along and nailed a small piece of wood over each measurement (yards, gallons, tons, etc) and written the metric equivalent on this.

Nuts. It looked absolutely stupid.

Davey

Speaking as someone whose house was built in Imperial, I don't want Metric as it just doesn't fit.

Especially conduit and knockouts.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

In 1977, I wrote all of our lab C of As in SI units, so flash points were in Kelvin.

Nobody was impressed.

Reply to
Simon Mason

anyone got a 3.2mm drill bit?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I've a couple of 3.175mm bits - any good?

Reply to
PeterC

Or car tyres. 185 (metric) x 15 (imperial). ;-(

I think even worse are when things are measured in values that are generally meaningless ... like I needed some Gripfast nails that were

3/4 x 16 gauge. WTF is 'gauge' (I know *how* I can convert them to something tangible but like 'Number' sizes for drills or screws it just adds (added?) another layer of confusion)?

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Often the things we put stuff into are old and not metric. But, no I still find picturing the sizes of things in adverts given in metric impossible without converting them to imperial. If we had been taught it in school it might have a helped a lot This was the

1960s. It became very awkward when working for a company who bought in sheet metal for fabrication, as different suppliers often used different ways to specify stuff. we ended up with complex charts to convert AWG, SWG metric mm and fractions of an inch for thickness. Brian
Reply to
Brian Gaff

It can even confuse the experts.

Simon Mason

No, what size TV? 65 inch!

Reply to
Capitol

Wafer thickness, thou. Diffusion depth , micron!

Reply to
Capitol

How about some 4 penny nails?

Reply to
Capitol

Were your current social skills equally impressive in 1977?

Nothing has changed.

Reply to
Fredxxx

As I was only 19, no. Still, I am now glad that I started a pension at that age.

Reply to
Simon Mason

Have you tried buying curtain material? 54" wide, sold by the metre length!

Reply to
Roger Mills

I can only buy jam in 454g jars and milk in 568ml containers. The argument given was that manufacturers couldn't afford to change their glass bottles to 500g and 500ml. Surprise, surprise, European manufacturers had no trouble at all creating bottles containing pounds and pints to sell in the UK.

Reply to
Dave W

Are you referring to the Mars mission they flew too low due to the conversion acalculation in the software being wrong. I do remember that. I seem to recall that part of the mission software was european and part American. so much for standardisation and testing. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

I really do not understand why in the new wide screen format we still measure corner to corner, why not just give the picture size as two measurements? After all for ages speakers have had both measurements specified. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

If it is measured corner to corner the screen sounds as if it is larger than it actually is.

Reply to
Bill

Interestingly, much European coffee (e.g Lavazza, Segafredo) is sold in the UK in 250 gram packages. Whereas most UK coffee is in 227, or more recently, 200 grams. This makes a noticeable difference when comparing prices. OK, not gigantic, but quite often enough to affect choice.

Reply to
polygonum