Recommendations for homeplug/powerline starter kit, please?

Any recommendations for homeplug/powerline starter kit please. Probably just want a couple of plugs to start (with the possibility of adding more plugs later?), pass-through would be nice (but not necessary); (wi-fi would be the icing on the cake, but maybe not yet, as I want to test that the homeplug will work across the wiring in the house). There are positive for all the usual manufacturers (TP-Link, Devolo, D-Link, Zyxel, Netgear) but comments/ideas would be welcome. TIA Allan

Reply to
Allan

I use an inexpensive pair of TP-Link PA411KIT AV500 500 Mbps Powerline Adapters to connect my network switch with my Humax satellite TV box on another floor of the house and they are just fine. I can't help with the more complex/expensive devices.

Reply to
Bob Henson

On 02 Dec 2014, Bob Henson grunted:

Yeah we have a couple of that model too, for a specific role - very straightforward, plug'n play, have always worked fine.

Reply to
Lobster

Don't bother. They are more trouble than they are worth, and cause radio interference for about a quarter of a mile. There is a debate raging at the moment as to whether they contravene the wireless telegraphy act on unlicensed transmissions, though Europe are seemingly promoting this. why do you think that AM medium, long and short wave bands are now so rare? Mainly due to noisy switch mode power supplies and home plug networks. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Here Dobbin! Come back! It's a lovely warm stable, I could fix that door ... here boy, no don't go ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

Homeplugs are slow IME. I recommend running Cat5E (or Cat 6) cables and make a 'proper' network. I've nearly finished doing this myself so can retire the Homeplugs.

Reply to
Mark

Simple; don't.

Reply to
Huge

It is also not true unless you are talking of the sort of ultra low noise receivers more typical of a radio astronomy observatory.

There is no detectable hit on MW or LW stations - there might be a tiny increase in interstation noise background so if you want to listen to very distant signals from radio Belgrade then there might be a problem.

My scanner sees far more interference from CFLs and computer PSUs.

Reply to
Martin Brown

Very good article on the BBC research site about the amount of interference they do cause to FM and DAB radio reception...

tony sayer

Complete with a coach to drive through the EMC regulations.

Reply to
Johny B Good