Recommendations for door-closer?

I'm interested in fitting a self-closing thing to the bathroom door because I'm tired of seeing the toilet every time I go up to the landing. (The door tends slightly to fall open if the "engaged" latch isn't used.) Any recommendations, especially something easy to install?

Reply to
Adam Funk

John

Adam Funk put finger to keyboard:

Rising butt hinges. Very apt, considering the location!

Reply to
Scion

I must admit i was thinking the same. I suppose you could tilt the whole house a bit to make it close.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

We got two lots of these:

very satisfactory, easy to fit [1] but if you're in a confined space takes two of you to tension it up - one to rotate an Allen key inserted in the top, or perhaps another tool [2], and a second person to insert the small locking pin when you've got the little holes aligned. A small faff but worth it. If the location is such that you can rotate the Allen key and hold it in position, then inserting the pin is rather easier.

[1] Install like ordinary hinges and then tension up as second step. [2] IIRC, our chap had to use a ratchet spanner with Allen key insert.
Reply to
Tim Streater

Problem with those is, there is no pause & close; they just slam the door.

For a little more you can have one of these;

They have two adjustments; the 'close' from open to about 15 degrees, then the 'latch' which shuts the door firmly but gently.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

snort

Reply to
Adam Funk

I've got a couple of those and have them set on their lowest spring setting. With this, the door closes slowly and doesn't trap little fingers. I've installed them so the doors in the hall aren't left wide open. It doesn't matter for this application that they aren't slammed shut as with some of the conventional folding arm "fire door" types which the old and young can have difficulty opening.

I particularly like the way you can simply unscrew the closing bar to disable them when the need arises. Just remember which hole you were using to reinstall at the same tension - and that you've screwed the arm back again correctly...

Reply to
John Weston

Or fit the door properly. I *think*, rather than know, that a tendancy for a door swing open is due to the top hinge being slightly further out of the frame than the bottom one. This is assuming that the frame is plumb.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

The problem here isn't that the door swings open but that it doesn't swing close & does (maybe it's *too* even) bounce open if someone (else) slams it.

Reply to
Adam Funk

That certainly looks nice --- I guess it has springs hidden inside?

Reply to
Adam Funk