Porch door closer

What is the best one of these. When I get a delivery I like to ask folk to put it in the porch, but quite often they just open it sling in the package and leave the door swinging in the breeze. I'd need to get it fitted by somebody, but wondered what might be around. At present a makeshift pulley and weight sort of closes it, but I think there have to be some for tops of doors that are reasonable to fit and weatherproof. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Have a motion triggered voice singing out "Thank you, now please close the door". That could be the cheapest option, and would also alert you someone has been.

A fire door closer, which mounts to the top of the door and has a spring loaded lever arm.

or a concealed door closer which is springs and chains either embedded into the hinge side of the door frame or inside the door itself.

Though either closer is a nuisance if it slams the door shut and you are unfortunately outside with no keys to get back in.

Reply to
Adrian Caspersz

Brian the door furniture section in the Screwfix web catalogue has numerous overhead, in frame and surface mount types.

Rutland one of the manufacturers has useful information on their website regarding choosing one to match door weight and width and also how to fit them.

Richard.

Reply to
Tricky Dicky

Best entirely depends on which properties you value most & least. Weight & nylon fishing line: cost minimal, doesn't make it hard to open, can be opened by high winds if no latch Rising butt: as above but tidier, costs a little, closing force weak & not controllable Fire door closer: heavy handed, costs more, less prone to blowing open. Latch but no closer: wind will often blow it shut if the latch is effortless to close

Reply to
Animal

For years we’ve had parcels delivered into our porch without a problem. Suddenly the likes of Amazon (and I think other companies) have removed “porch” as a delivery option and we now have to play “hunt the parcel” whenever we get a delivery.

I suspect that thefts from porches were becoming so common they just decided to remove it as an option to reduce thefts. You might be better off finding a better place for them to place parcels in the future.

Tim

Brian Gaff snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Reply to
Tim+

Ah, but my door has a proper handle on the outside. Its not really meant for security, really for added insulation and draught exclusion on the north facing side. I don't think you could fit it in the hinge as its your basic upvc door. I did have one that seemed to be based around a slow moving piston to close it on my old greenouse, but it got broken and the greenhouse is now no more. I guess these must be still made. It did not slam the door because t the pressure gradually increased till the door clicked shut on the greenouse, if it had not done this it would have bust the windows! Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

OK, I've never weighed the door, but upvc with metal inside and two double glazed panels are in it and a lock that at the moment won't lock due to the bottom interlock apparently being out of line and I cannot see how it might be adjusted, so I have taken it off. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Yes please put package in the guard alligators mouth. Thanks.

I'd note considered fishing line. At the moment I have two pulleys a bottle of water and a bit of pvc cord that keeps breaking or coming off the pulleys, but it accelerates as it closes due to the angle and slams the door and strains the cord as it suddenly stops and eventually breaks it. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff