Recommendation for condenser tumble dryer

I would like one with a sensor so to not over dry clothes and minimise drying time.

The most popular one is the Bosch WTE84103GB. What does the group think? Are there any models giving better value?

Hope someone can steer me in the right direction.

Reply to
Fred

Miele.

Most, if not all of the range has this feature, plus the best build quality and life expectancy in the market, and service second to none should you need it.

Reply to
Andy Hall

Andy Hall coughed up some electrons that declared:

Can't argue with Andy there. If money is an issue, then I can also recommend the Bosch Logixx Condenser Dryer - mine is about 8 years old, the sensor works correctly and the machine is reliable.

Cheers

Tim

Reply to
Tim S

Out Bosch WTL5400 still works perfectly 10 years after purchase...

Reply to
John

Maybe...

meow2222

Many thanks. However I really can't justify the cost of a Miele. It's far more expensive than it's rivals and amost all condensing tumble driers are a C in energy rating. In my opinion they don't give good value for money.

Reply to
Fred

Thanks - I'm not sure if they still do that model, but Bosch do seem to give good value for money. Whirlpool is another make I'm looking at.

Reply to
Fred

Maybe...

article. It seems there are a couple of heat pump condensing tumble driers. It's a shame they're not the norm.

Reply to
Fred

Fred coughed up some electrons that declared:

It wasn't a model (those have actual codenames like WTL?????), but a family of models. Logixx is still a family name and there are dryers.

Have a look at

There's no guarantee the new ones are as reliable as the old ones, but if I had to bet on it, they probably are.

HTH

Tim

Reply to
Tim S

That's fine. You didn't say what "value" means to you.

If you go to Miele's web site, select the dryers page and the condenser models, you will see that all except one are B rated in terms of energy use.

If you look at the overall deliverable of specifications, build quality, longevity and service, Miele doesn't have rivals, but is a different offering at a different price point.

Equally, if one looks on a TCO basis, I'm pretty sure that Miele would end up being less expensive than other appliances.

It really depends on whether you look at purchases on this basis or simply on the purchase price tag.

Reply to
Andy Hall

It needs an update:

"But I thought condensing tumble dryers just recirculate the heat, so very little is used?

"Not exactly. Condensing dryers use cold water to condense the water vapour in the air path. This removes heat as well as water vapour. There is a desire to remove as much water as possible, but as little heat as possible, so a compromise is inevitable. This means that some of the heat is removed each time the air goes round. Consequently power consumption is lower than open circuit machines, but still not low."

There are three types of condenser drier - the old fashioned "wet" sort you write about, ordinary dry ones, and heat pump models.

Both the latter sort dump the heat into the room they are in. This means the power use is offset against your CH requirements.

The heat pump ones do it more efficiently!

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ

Our last Bosch dryer (condensing model, can't recall number) was very unreliable. Most machines we have are Bosch (3 fridges, dishwasher, washing machine), but the dryer was a bad buy. After paying for several repairs we decided not to risk another Bosch, and changed manufacturer. In the end we chose a John Lewis own-branded machine as they come with a three year guarantee

and it's been very reliable to date. The 3 year guarantee was a big factor in our choice.

Reply to
Dougie Nisbet

It would have to use a lot less power than a cheaper model to justify the £250 or so additional purchase cost. Does a B rated dryer really save that much over a C?

Reply to
Mark

I don't know. To me it's worth the extra to have something that I know will last a good long time, has excellent build quality and good service should I need it. If there's an energy saving, all to the good, but it's not a major purchase criterion for me.

Reply to
Andy Hall