Looking for solution for delayed start of Tumble Dryer (2023 Update)

I'm after some suggestions for delaying the startup of our White Knight con= densing tumble dryer, (in order to take advantage of economy 7 electrickery= ). A simple plug in time switch won't work as the dryer has a momentary action= push switch that has to be pressed to start the drying cycle. I see from = other Google results that wedging in the start button, (and using a timer),= also doesn't work as the unit then doesn't switch off when the automatic d= ryness detector determines that the clothes are dry, (although to be honest= I've not tried that myself). Crucially, the solution needs to be SWMBO compatable. Any ideas?

Reply to
pepper

condensing tumble dryer, (in order to take advantage of economy 7 electrickery).

push switch that has to be pressed to start the drying cycle. I see from other Google results that wedging in the start button, (and using a timer), also doesn't work as the unit then doesn't switch off when the automatic dryness detector determines that the clothes are dry, (although to be honest I've not tried that myself).

If you start the dryer, then power it off at the socket, does it resume, or still need the button pressed?

Reply to
Toby

ondensing tumble dryer, (in order to take advantage of economy 7 electricke= ry).

on push switch that has to be pressed to start the drying cycle. =A0I see f= rom other Google results that wedging in the start button, (and using a tim= er), also doesn't work as the unit then doesn't switch off when the automat= ic dryness detector determines that the clothes are dry, (although to be ho= nest I've not tried that myself).

Line drying, more energy efficient ;)

Buy a new tumble that doesn't have a start switch and Ebay the one you have?

Heath Robinson job involving a solenoid and a simple circuit?

Philip

Reply to
philipuk

condensing tumble dryer, (in order to take advantage of economy 7 electrickery).

Implying, presumably, that you want to use the tumble dryer either when you're asleep in bed, or away from the house.

Given that AFAIK tumble dryers, along with a few other appliances like washing machines and dishwashers, are high on the list of causes of house fires.... is that a good idea?

David

Reply to
Lobster

condensing tumble dryer, (in order to take advantage of economy 7 electrickery).

push switch that has to be pressed to start the drying cycle. I see from other Google results that wedging in the start button, (and using a timer), also doesn't work as the unit then doesn't switch off when the automatic dryness detector determines that the clothes are dry, (although to be honest I've not tried that myself).

Most time switches have an override button. Press it. Set the tumble dryer going. Immediately press the override button on the time switch again to set it back to normal timed switching. Next morning: dry clothes.

That's what we do with both the washing machine and the dish washer for Economy & use.

Reply to
Chris Hogg

Might work but I think most appliances like this use a latching relay that will "unlatch" once the power is interrupted. Consequently, it'll still need the start button re-pressed.

I think the only way will be to hack into the dryer's wiring.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

A circuit that will operate a relay wired across the current switch for a couple of seconds after power up (Probably after a short delay) would work - maybe with a switch to enable/disable it "Manual and Auto" - The power button may be more than just a single press to make switch though.

Reply to
Toby

Well, as I said, it works on both our washing machine and dishwasher, both of which are relatively new.

It would only take a moment or two for the OP to test it. Go through the routine as I described, and a few seconds after pressing the timer override for the second time, press it for a third time to bring the power back on to simulate the timer coming on after midnight. If the dryer springs into life, problem solved.

Reply to
Chris Hogg

How about a programmable robot to press the button?

Reply to
Roger Mills

I've heard stories of tumble dryers catching fire, I can see how they could overheat, but I didn't realise dishwashers and washing machines did too. What goes wrong with them? An electrical fault?

I think I have the same dryer as the OP and I did use E7 for the washing machine and dishwasher and thought about using E7 for the tumble dryer too but it was the thought of fire whilst I was in bed that stopped me pursuing this.

I have heard of fridges starting fires and that is a worry as you cannot switch them off over night or when you go out.

OTOH how many white goods catch fire? If there were too many, they would not be sold.

Reply to
Fred

Whilst my washing machine and dishwasher do "remember" where they were before a power cut and carry on when the power is restored, my tumble dryer does not and I think I have the same/similar model of tumble drier to the OP. Perhaps it is a safety feature to prevent it switching on unattended after a power cut?

Reply to
Fred

Hi,

I thought about doing exactly this to my WK tumble dryer. I was going to put a relay across the terminals of the push switch and have the time switch activate the relay briefly when I wanted the dryer to start.

That way you could still use the switch to start the dryer manually.

But I never got round to doing it ;(

Reply to
Fred

I think I have the same/similar model. How do you find it?

Now we have moved house it is in a small utility room, so although the condenser removes the dampness from the air, sometimes it gets too hot and I find myself switching on the extractor fan, which seems to defeat the purpose of having a dryer that is not ducted!

If it is drying towels I sometimes find the condenser cannot cope and the room does become damp and the fan goes on again.

I hear you can now get heat pump dryers. Are they much cheaper to run? I might look into those when I need a new one.

Reply to
Fred

Good point but I've been doing this (starting at night for Eco-7) for 15 years now with no problems. BUT I'm a stickler for cleaning out all the filters and vents regularly (filters, before every single dry!). I've also got the dryer at the rear of the house in an extension with smoke and fire detectors between it and the nearest bed room. Did I mention that I'm a light sleeper too?

Paul DS.

Reply to
Paul D Smith

There are 69,000 house fires a year in the UK

I don't see much point in tumble dryers. Most other methods of drying use a small fraction the energy and don't damage clothes.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Also, many washing machines and dishwashers have built-in timers to allow a delayed start to take advantage of off-peak tariffs. Surely, manufacturers wouldn't do this if this was a *serious* fire risk.

Reply to
Roger Mills

Dunno, but washing machines and tumble driers are flagged here:

(way behing "cooking appliances", which is no surprise)

And St Helens Fire Station watch manager Jim Brammeier says "We advise people not to leave tumble dryers, washing machines and dishwashers running while they are out of the house - or at night or while they are sleeping."

So there... :)

And Which? concurs, so it must be true... in seriousness, that link also mentions that they are most likely to catch fire due to faults as opposed to misuse or accident - as is the case with most cooking appliance fires. That's the factoid which I find most relevant.

David

Reply to
Lobster

All that shows is that its harder to abuse some appliances than others. It would be pretty obvious that an error with a cooker is more likely to cause a fire than an error with a washing machine. Its typical of Which to state the bleeding obvious IME.

Reply to
dennis

We had a Hotpoint dishwasher start smoking some years ago, the back of it was glowing red. It went outside faster than our cat spying a mouse..

Wouldn't give that make house room anymore!...

Reply to
tony sayer

Ditto, if you want your food cooking choose a Hotpoint frost free fridge freezer.

Reply to
The Other Mike