Recommend a cheap, honest gas fire?

Taking a look at the gas fires available, it looks pretty tacky to me the way some of them have these plastic coals to give a "real" coal effect. What about the types with pebbles, are they real pebbles? If so I might go for that because at least it isn't something pretending to be something that it isn't. Even better are the ones with a real flame effect but these seem to cost around £1000 which is far to steep for what it is. If u do give a recommendation, please give the approx price range, thanks.

Reply to
Jason Hallway

Do you want this gas fire for (a) heating the room, or (b) looking pretty?

This immediately limits you to one-third of the available appliances, as approx 1/3rd are decorative, 1/3rd efficient, and 1/3rd neither.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Efficiency is the most important with 75% importance, 25% for looking good.

Reply to
Jason Hallway

Then you get a 'traditional' gas fire with ceramic radiants, and put a screen in front of it when you're not using it.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Then a bog standard outset radiant gas fire (yes they are still made and sold) cost less than £200 and can be got online from screwfix and elsewhere.

They are about 75-80% efficient. There are a choice of styes and finishes.

Reply to
Ed Sirett