Recirculating hob extractor and microwave venting behind fitted kitchen

Hi

Just come back from holiday during which kitchen installation was ongoing.

Neff cooker hood D5625 fitted. There is no way to exhaust to outside so it is recirculating

Electrolux microwave EMS 26405 fitted. This model needs a "chimney" behind cupboards and a minimum exhaust gap of 50mm between top of cupboards and ceiling.

The cupboards have been infilled to the ceiling and I can see no obvious place for the outflow from either appliance to exhaust. The cupboards were fitted before we left and I do know there is a chimney to the top of the back of the fitted cupboard housing the microwave.

I assume that if left there is a danger of the microwave overheating and the area behind the cupboards filling with condensation etc.

Any ideas on a way around this other than removing the infill between the tops of the cupboards and the ceiling?

I will be speaking with the installer before work recommences.

Reply to
Invisible Man

Can't you fit one/some of these into the infill:

Lobster

Thanks David

The cornice or whatever it is called at the top of the cupboard itself protrudes outwards and upwards. Current thought is to remove this and drill a series of 40 - 50mm holes low down in the infill. This should not be visible when the cornice is replaced.

Reply to
Invisible Man

Mistake. In my experience no one seems able to do any job properly least of all trades men.

Had you specified exhaust to outside? If so they need to come back and do that at their cost.

Again not fitted to spec of the appliance let alone you. They need to sort it out at their cost.

Very much so.

Not our or your problem but that of the installers to sort out at their cost.

Good, far to many people appear to accept poor workmanship and/or correct mistakes/problems themselves. Without feedback (via their wallet) trades people won't know they are screwing up.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Job done on the basis of if possible. Hob is on an internal wall. Turns out the boxed in area in the way carries various water pipes as well as the known soil pipe. Agreed to recirculating hood. To keep condensation down they have installed a flush mounted expelair on the other side of the kitchen which works really well.

Have spoken with him today. He has pointed out a long slot between the cornice and the trim panel which I had not noticed. I believe this is adequate for the recirculating hood. The slot between the cornice above the microwave and the ceiling I feel is inadequate. Installer will drill a number of holes hidden by the cornice which I am happy with.

Agreed. Over the years I have sued entities from a market trader to Dixons and what was then Anglian Water. This installer and his team have however been really good and gone to a great deal of trouble.

Thanks for your interest.

Reply to
Invisible Man