And yet another kitchen refresh bites the dust ...

Cabinetry basically a done deal, just waiting on the wall paper and appliances:

Whether its re-siding, or a bathroom/kitchen remodel, a neighbor visits and the projects multiply like rabbits these days ... all it takes is being visible in a neighborhood for more than two days.

Reply to
Swingman

Looks nice. My wife and I like the corner lazy Susan. Did you move the dishwasher to a new location?

If you are good, you don't have to spend money to advertise.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Inspiring!

Reply to
-MIKE-

The client, adamantly, forcefully, and unmistakably, did NOT want to see another dishwasher in her kitchen. Don't know if it has anything to do with it, but she's a farm girl from Illinois. But I now know how she feels about dishwashers.

That, or they can see you're getting old and tired and want to poke you with a stick...

Reply to
Swingman

Push a button and you get sparkling clean, dry, dishes with no effort and with less hot water. I don't understand some people.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Nice clean lines. My compliments! I hope the wallpaper isn't anything garish.

Reply to
upscale

Is it less hot water? I fill the sink and fill one bowl for rinsing. If it really is less water, I wasn't aware of that.

Reply to
upscale

It has been proven many times that a dishwasher uses less water than hand washing. One bowl for rinsing? Just how many items can you properly rinse in there.

If you are washing one or two items, it may not matter, but on a good sized load, the machine wins every time.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

...Big plastic rinsing bowl.

I'll keep this in mind the next time I consider a dishwasher purchase.

Reply to
upscale

Great Job, and looks like you enjoy your work. Seriously. I can tell when a job is done, how much the person liked his work, by how well it came out. I know there are times of aggravation, and material failures...... but the finished product is "proof of the puddin" john

Cabinetry basically a done deal, just waiting on the wall paper and appliances:

Whether its re-siding, or a bathroom/kitchen remodel, a neighbor visits and the projects multiply like rabbits these days ... all it takes is being visible in a neighborhood for more than two days.

Reply to
jloomis

I might add that dishwashers are not all equal. We have owned Ge, Whirlpool, and Bosch. Whirlpool wind hands down if you get the ones with the pot scrubbing feature. Short of bones and seeds everything goes in off the table and comes out clean.

Reply to
Leon

OK, this is a customer of mine that he did this kitchen for and I have seen the process of the kitchen.

This was what I thought was going to be a kitchen refresh.

This kitchen is not not a refresh or modernized look, it is a work of art that many new models homes would wish to look like.

Job well done! AGAIN!

Reply to
Leon

+1 The Electrolux we left behind in the previous house was superb. We've had others that aren't so good at cleaning stuck-on stuff. The one in the house before that had to have everything rinsed off the dishes before they were put in. You'd still have to inspect them when unloading. There are only two of us, now, so run it every four or five days. The contractors special that we have now and the previous Electrolux even cleaned dry, caked, stuff comes off every time. Clean.

I looked at the Bosch but it's a little different than others. Instead of having a "grinder pump" (essentially a garbage disposal) at the outlet, they have a trap/filter. You have to clean that trap after every use or all that food is just sitting there getting "yuck".

One of the biggest differences between cheap dishwashers and the expensive models are the interior options; interior layout, plastic/stainless tub, extra cycles ("crystal", "pots", extra rinse cycles, insulation, temperature control, etc). For me, over 15 years, that stuff is worth it for the ~2x cost difference.

Reply to
krw

That's a pain. For me, the option of a dishwasher is supposed to eliminate that kind of need.

Reply to
upscale

I agree, which is why we dropped the Bosch from consideration.

Reply to
krw

FWIW we replaced a Whirlpool with a Bosch and that lasted 30 days. I simply did not clean dishes as well as the unit we Whirlpool I pulled out. The only reason for replacing the Whirlpoos was that the plastic on the racks was cracking and falling off of the metal racks and we were getting rust. New racks were about half the price of a new DW. 30 days later we replaced the new Bosch with a Whirlpool.

Reply to
Leon

Our first DW about 1970 was a used Kitchen Aid from my brother's house when he was renovating. I've stayed with KA ever since. About a year ago I replaced our 15 year old KA with a new one. We use Cascade Platinum detergent and everything comes out perfectly clean and sparkling. Glassware looks brand new.

I'm sure some other brands are good too, but when you have performance like this, I'm not going to try anything else.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

snipped-for-privacy@teksavvy.com wrote in news:dan88adg43ph6ud22q93iekgosnadkm54r@

4ax.com:

Also, dishwashers sanitize the dishes - rinse them at a much higher temperature than you could do by hand.

Reply to
Baxter

nRefresh?noredirect=1

Another really nice job, Karl. Your final product always looks so clean an d well thought out, I can't imagine your clients not being thrilled with it . I really liked the "trapeze" that suspends the mixer. How much cabinet modification to the carcass did it take to get that strong enough to suspen d the mixer safely? Is that a purpose built piece of kitchen hardware? It reminds me of some computer hardware I have installed.

Also, are those your doors or did you have them made? That style of design and finish seems like it would be great for foil thermoplastic, but I coul dn't tell from your pics. As we spoke a while back, I haven't made a door for myself in years...

Once again, nice work!

While it is starting to loosen up a bit here, it still isn't what it was. We are usually behind pretty much any trend here, so I am hoping that we wi ll get back to a trend of being really busy here.

Talking to one of my amigos the other day that just shut down his company, I was longingly remembering the days of telling potential clients that I wa s 2 -3 months away from taking their work.

And talking to my sister that lives in Houston, she assures me that the sho rtage of craftsmen in Houston is so severe it is a topic of discussion in t he news and a priority at their homeowner's association meetings. She has repeatedly assured me that if I were to move to Houston that she could book me a year or work in about 30 days.

But... I wouldn't think to sell your efforts short in any way, either. You always do good work and have quite a portfolio of projects to back it all up. Regardless of a shortage of "hands on" workers, a good contractor make s all the difference in the world, and some folk are savvy enough to realiz e how important the contractor is to a smooth running project and to delive ring a good final product.

If only Houston had better Tex/Mex... ;^)

Robert

Reply to
nailshooter41

IIRC Whirlpool bought Kitchen Aid about 10 or so years ago.

Reply to
Leon