Really simple Point of Sale ap for Android

Any suggestions for a simple ap for an Android Tablet to help with catering van. Basic help with adding up orders and calculating change.
On 07/07/2019 16:41, DerbyBorn wrote:

What do they teach 'em in junior school today?
On Sunday, 7 July 2019 17:31:19 UTC+1, Gareth's was W7 now W10 Downstairs Computer wrote:

How to download an app on an Android Tablet, then they pass their assessment for Digital Literacy.
Owain
I can only do it on the Iphone. to be honest i thought I was a beginner at smart phones but I've thus far had to help out many sighted people who get their phones in a pickle and I've only used on since last Christmas! People do not engage with their devices. If they did and understood the basically simple concepts they should be able to sort things out for themselves. It is not rocket science or 5 year olds could not use them. That makes me a mental age of 5, oh dear second childhood warning. Brian
--
----- --
I was going to ask, does anyone use pen and paper or mental maths? Its a lot easier now we are decimal than in my day. Bring back the abacus. Brian
On 07/07/2019 20:13, Brian Gaff wrote:

It's only in the past few days that out of interest I taught myself the long division method of calcualting a square root :-)
As to the days of £l.s.d, in my collection (for want of a better word) of calculating devices, I got one that did not seem to be working until my wife looking over my shoulder suggested that it was for £l.s.d and so the first column did not carry over until 12, and the second column at 20!
What with £l.s.d and imperial systems of units we did not have to learn about different number bases, we encountered them all the time!
12 inches for a foot 3 feet for a yard 22 yards for a chain 10 chains for a furlong 8 furlongs to a mile.
And there was one unit which was not an integer value, because the surveyor's chain was divided into 100 links, each being 7.92 inches!
On 07/07/2019 20:45, Gareth's was W7 now W10 Downstairs Computer wrote:

What "calculating device" was that? I thought we went decimal before the first pocket (or even widely available desk) calculators were available?

We had to learn our 16x table (for ounces to pounds) and 14x (for pounds to stones). But why learn the eleven times, except for "completeness"?
What do kids learn nowadays, if they learn tables at all? All they need is 2-9x.
--
Max Demian

On 07/07/2019 23:31, Max Demian wrote:

Mechanical adding machine
On 07 Jul 2019, Gareth's was W7 now W10 Downstairs Computer wrote (in

Yes. We went decimal in 1971 IIRC. Meanwhile, at Uni, the Optics Dept had a Friden electric mechanical calculator that could do square roots as well as the standard four functions. When doing a root, it chuntered back and forth for some minutes.
--
Tim

@yahoo.com says...

There was even a pocket mechanical calculator!
It had sliders with holes in and a metal probe was inserted into the appropriate hole and pulled the slider down to the bottom of the slot it was in. When the total reached 10, the probe was pulled back up to the top and looped over to advance the next digit.
It was made from alloy and was very slim, with the probe housed in the side.
They were also available in different versions - for calculating hours and minutes or Pounds, shillings and pence.
The MD at the first place I worked had one and his was definitely for Lsd (this was in the 60s.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WyIuY-FwfH0

--

Terry

Nope, I built my house then and got a calculator to use when building.

On Sunday, 7 July 2019 23:31:56 UTC+1, Max Demian wrote:

ord)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Curta
NT

I'd love to have a Curta but at several £100s it's not going to happen :-(
On 07/07/2019 23:31, Max Demian wrote:

Learning some things by rote damages some of the ability to find out things for themselves by intuition.
Like, if something looks vaguely similar to something else, there will be some that will throw the toys out of the pram as their nursery rhyme fed analogies are no longer compliant with changes forced.
I still have no idea why I was forced to learn word perfect, a passage in Macbeth, 'Is this a dagger....'
--
Adrian C

On 08/07/2019 16:27, Adrian Caspersz wrote:

That last one is obvious. For use in situations like this.
On 08 Jul 2019, Adrian Caspersz wrote (in

Learning the times tables, however, does not. And it means that later in life you can do sums.
--
Tim

On Monday, 8 July 2019 16:27:28 UTC+1, Adrian Caspersz wrote:

Well, it gives you an opportunity for parody
Is this a Megger which I see before me, The handle toward my hand? Come, let me clutch thee. Thou marshall'st me the way that I was going; And such an instrument I was to use.
Not something I'd expect most of Adam's apprentices to come out with.
Owain
On 07/07/2019 20:45, Gareth's was W7 now W10 Downstairs Computer wrote:

As long as you remember what comes in sixths of a gill.
On Monday, 8 July 2019 13:51:16 UTC+1, newshound wrote:

Sixths? That's stingy (or normal for Aberdeen).
We were fifths of a gill, or quarter gills in the generous places, until Europe intervened.
https://www.heraldscotland.com/news/12539189.all-change-and-no-half-measures/
If Boris Johnson can guarantee the return of the quarter and fifth gill to Scottish pubs he'd knock all this Brexit / Indie nonsense on the head quicker than an alcoholic ferret in a mash tun.
Owain
In article <1f55583a-698d-4404-a875-3f79e3071560

But as Scotland widely adopted the 35ml measure in place of the traditional fifth gill measure I would expect rioting and disturbance on a national scale if publicans went back to the old measure which is a hopping 6.6ml smaller than the measure that the drinkers will surely claim as their right now after a few months short of a quarter of a century.
--

Terry