Re: video exit

I use Videoredo for doing that. It's not free - I think a licence costs about £30 - but it makes it very easy to remove segments (eg continuity announcements and adverts) and join together two files as long as they are the same spec (eg same format and same number of audio and subtitle streams).

The advantage that it has over programs such as Adobe Premiere (Elements) is that it does a simple copy of the source to the destination apart from the few frames either side of a join where it needs to recode the data: this means that it is a lot faster than Premiere which needs to render (recode) the whole project, which is very computer-intensive.

Beware of programs which *don't* recode either side of the join. They can lead to a nasty glitch - a few frames of rubbish - if the start of the new segment is not on a full frame boundary but is instead on an incremental frame of the MPEG/H264 stream.

Reply to
NY

<stupid Jim mode ON>

Yup. <stupid Jim mode OFF>

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

I use openshot.

Sometimes it crashes, but mostly it works. version 1.4

latest is 2.51 but when I tried that it didn't work too good

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Care to share?

Reply to
R D S

Windows 10 photo?

Rambo

The problem I have with Photos is that I have an archive of 30 GB of files in one-drive (mostly supporting a book I am editing with several other people, but including some images and video).

In trying to make everything Mac-like for simpletons, it looks to me as though Photos insists on searching all the drives it can find, including cloud, for anything that might be stills or video before putting them all into monthly summaries like Apple do. The problem in my case is that is going to take forever while it makes thumbnails of everything. (I don't even routinely save images and video to the cloud). Maybe there is a switch somewhere to restrict the places that Photos looks, but I'm buggered if I can find it. (It worked fine for a young friend of mine who just has a limited number of basic snapshots and video on her iPhone).

I greatly miss Windows Movie Maker, which was simple, intuitive, but still had good features like titles and dissolves. More than adequate for basic home movies / Youtube.

Some years ago I did invest £100 or so in Pinnacle Studio, and start to learn it. But it didn't run in Win10 and they didn't offer any sort of discount on the new version for existing customers.

Shotcut and Avidemux are two of the freebies that get reasonable reviews. I've dabbled with both.

Reply to
newshound

Yep, I liked it as well, until I think the last version where the fupped it up. However the decent version may still be "out here", at least it was a year or so back. Someone had written a wrapper program for it that tried to enforce some limits on use and get you to pay for it. But if you looked in the installation folder you could just run the (renamed) Windows Movie Maker .exe directly bypassing the wrappers restrictions. B-)

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Avidemux (or at least the version which I tried) was one of the packages which *didn't* make an intelligent edit if you were joining a segment that started part-way through the MPEG sequence of key frame followed by multiple incremental frames, so it gave a nasty glitch.

Videoredo creates a brand new key frame by applying the incremental frame where your segment starts to the most recent key frame which you are chopping off, and then calculating new incremental frames from there to the next key frame. So the result is seamless. OK, there's a shorter-than-normal sequence of key+incrementals at the join, but that's fine.

Reply to
NY

In message snipped-for-privacy@news.individual.net>, Dave Liquorice snipped-for-privacy@howhill.com writes

Fully agree that Windows own Movie Maker is a straightforward and free solution. I too downloaded it a year or perhaps eighteen months ago, just by Googling moviemaker.exe

Reply to
Graeme