Re: The Shed Thread

> I also think it's wrong to distinguish breeze blocks from concrete blocks= . > Not all concrete blocks are breeze blocks, but all breeze blocks are (a f= orm > of) concrete block. > > That we don't think of them as being concrete is just cultural. > > The Romans (who invented the stuff) produced even lighter concrete by mea= ns > of using pumice (lightweight solidified volcanic lava) as the aggregate > rather than the ash used for modern breeze blocks.

Surely uk.d-i-y could settle this argument? Medway will respect them.

Squashme

That breeze blocks are a form of concrete does not, of course, mean that they are suitable as foundation stones. No-one would rest scaffolding on the dome of the Pantheon.

Reply to
JNugent

Wooster

concrete blocks generically looks even more misplaced. =====Quote===== concrete blocks are referred to generically as ?breeze blocks,? whether or not ash is present. =====/Quote=====

Reply to
Bertie Wooster

Only by those who know no better.

Reply to
grimly4

(perhaps earlier?) and were made with some sort of clinker or slag. Certainly they were much harder to drill than today's standard (not lightweight) concrete blocks. I suspect it might have been a proprietary name.

Reply to
newshound

Elsewhere on the web says 1930s.

Wikipedia has this:- "Concrete blocks are made from cast concrete, i.e. Portland cement and aggregate, usually sand and fine gravel for high-density blocks. Lower density blocks may use industrial wastes as an aggregate. Those that use cinders (fly ash or bottom ash) are called cinder blocks in the US, breeze blocks (breeze is a synonym of ash)[1] in the UK and are also known as besser blocks or bricks in Australia."

So breeze blocks are lower density concrete blocks using ash as an aggregate.

We had someone called Judith on URC saying:- "Breeze blocks are not made out of concrete - they are made out of ash and cinder."

The web has this:- "Breeze block - a light concrete building block made with cinder aggregate; "cinder blocks are called breeze blocks in Britain""

--------------------------------------------------- Judith:- "Feel free to point out any blocks made from cinders and ash which are sold as concrete blocks."

On the web "Lignacite Ltd Ashlite concrete blocks comprise a range of medium dense, load bearing units, used in internal or external walls. Ashlite is a light weight, robust and durable block ideal for plastering and flooring. The blocks are manufactured from cement, sand, ash and other lightweight aggregates, and it contains 100% recycled aggregates and is compliant with the BREEAM standard."

Reply to
Squashme

well that is in fact what the link says.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher