Loft insulation V storage

I have managed to get some free loft and cavity wall insulation. I have loads of stuff in the loft but intend to reduce that by clearing out, however there will still be a few boxes left. The main loft area is currently floored and it is my intention to get them to place insulation over this. Once they have finished what damage (in terms of insulation loss) am I likely to do if I place some boxes on the insulation and compact it, the area that will be compacted is above bedrooms we dont use and the heating is rarely on in these rooms. There is not a lot of headroom in the loft so dont want to build onto/above the rafters to create a raised floor, in any case I wouldnt have time before the insulation goes in. I really need to put some of this back up in the loft as it is mainly antique stuff and worth a few bob so I want it up there and out the way. Some of it I can span the rafters that support the roof as they are long and light.

Any thoughts/ideas

thanks

Reply to
ss

You're not going to cause any damage by putting boxes onto the insulation. All it'll do is compress it and reduce the R value in that spot, which is fairly trivial.

NT

Reply to
NT

Rather than compact any insulation what I did was get some planks and make a fairly simple roof rack assembly that sits on the original floor and holds a set of support beams an inch or so above the insulation.

__________________ | |

With the separation chosen to be an exact multiple of roll width.

The boxes of junk than add to the insulation rather than subtracting.

Reply to
Martin Brown

I built a load of little 3 sided platforms to stand on the original joists. It got rid of all the old chipboard carcassing I had lying around. Or there's these

stuart noble

So why not use the unused bedrooms as storage?

Reply to
Gazz

Exactly what I would do, but my wife thinks differently :-( We have 3 spare bedrooms and they MUST be furnished as bedrooms even though the chances of having more than one being used at any one time are almost zero.

Reply to
ss

Get a new wife.

Reply to
Huge

We are having ours done on 18th May. I intend toi cover the new insulation with a large sheet of polythene and place the empty boxes etc on top.

Reply to
Stewart