Re: Quick laminate flooring question

So is it really necessary to do this?

Yes. It looks like a bodge otherwise. If you lay without expansion gap, you probably will get cracks and bulges. You either have to leave the gap and apply beading, which looks rank, or you shave off the bottom of the door frame. It is very simple to do with thin bladed saw and a chisel.

I found it easiest to start on the wall away from the door and lay the door pieces near the end. Otherwise, it would be easy to faff around with the door stuff and not get a decent straight initial run, which you need to ensure you get few gaps and problems.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

Hi David,

I had the same dilemma when I started laying our flooring and found out from a joiner friend that it is just as good to lay the floor with a small 6 mm gap around solid door frames and other immovable objects, and then fill the gap with a contrasting coloured flexible filler (silicone or decorators caulk). It looks brilliant around our house. Yes, the whole house. She who must be obeyed went mad and got me to do the whole house with the stuff. :-))

Another good tip is to lay the boards length ways in the room, because it does, through experience, make a room look smaller if laid across the narrow way.

The underlay is also very important. If you're using the thin foam membrane type, then make sure you stick the edges together with some masking tape or other paper type sticky stuff, to ensure that it is not over lapping underneath the boards. I've been told that staples are a big NO NO !!! and that it is best to stick the edges down with masking tape to hold it in place while you're doing the job.

Good luck with, and remember to measure twice and cut once. Take your time if it's your first attempt and you'll do a fine job.

Reply to
BigWallop

Black is effective for this sort of thing because you don't actually see it. The eye follows the straight edge of the flooring.

Reply to
stuart noble