Laminate Floor - Door Frame / Filler?

Hi,

I put down a laminate floor in my lounge last week, and, in preference to using edging strips, I took the skirting board off the wall. I'm really pleased with the result, with the exception of the small areas around the door frames. Can I buy a filler of some kind to fill these small areas? If so, any idea where from (in the UK)?

cheers,

mil.

Reply to
Mil

The idea is to chop a little bit off the bottom of your door frames and architraves, and slide the laminate underneath. I assume you didn't do that?

I presume that you have left an expansion gap round the frames, which you wish to hide? You can get some strips of cork to put round wooden flooring to allow for expansion without actually having a gap. You may be able to use some of this - but it will probably be a bit thicker than the laminate.

The thing to avoid if at all possible is covering the gap with beading - it looks horrible!

Reply to
Set Square

I used a dark wood coloured frame sealer 0- the sot of thing that goes round windows.

I think its an acrylic, but it looks fine.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

B+Q sell a special laminate floor filler in the LOC range. Different shades available even if you didn't use that brand of flooring you should find a shade close enough.

Reply to
robert

No, it doesn't! It looks fantastic! I'm looking at it right now. It just has to be applied neatly.

MM

Reply to
Mike Mitchell

Maybe it *can* look ok. But, for an example of how *not* to do it, take a look at:

took this picture in an otherwise nicely appointed holiday property in Cornwall which we rented a year or two ago].

Reply to
Set Square

Could almost be my kitchen! Previous owners laid an imitation wood floor, which seems to be made of cardboard judging from it's affection for water, to 'enhance' the saleability of the property - pleased me because I knew that I was ripping the kitchen out. Anyway they did it _so_ badly that they had to take the top of the washing machine before it would fit back under the worksurface. Arrrrgh.

Unfortunately soon after moving in I told my new neighbour about the 'horrible kitchen floor' only for him to tell me that he laid it!

Richard

Reply to
Richard Savage

In message , snipped-for-privacy@freeserve.co.uk writes

any of the flooring warehouse type places should have a selection of colours as well.

Reply to
chris French

LOL - that is attrocious! Why on earth did they not just cut the bottom off the door frame!?

MM

Reply to
Mike Mitchell

That's how I did it. But it is ruddy hard work! Especially with several door frames. You are crouched down for ages, and I'm 58 and not as flexible as I once was. Maybe I'll put my money where my mouth is and dig out the Fuji digital camera...

MM

Reply to
Mike Mitchell

Would you like to set one up, and invite contributions?

Reply to
Set Square