Laminate floor Waterproof

Hi all,

I am currently redecorating my kitchen and have opted for TileLOC laminate floor:

is very easy to lay, and looks nice, however I am wondering just how waterproof it really is? I know that other types of laminate flooring expand if they get damp, leading to raised areas where water seeps between board.

Does anyone have experience of TileLOC, or other splashproof laminate flooring in the kitchen?

Perhaps a few coats of Matt varnish would improve its lifetime?

Regards, Colin E.

Reply to
Colin Eberhardt

We had a flood when the combined dishwasher/washing machine drain got blocked and one of the machines pumped out all over the floor. Since this was at the edge of the room, the water got to both sides of the Tileloc, but it survived just fine. After 5 years there's no sign of any wear, anywhere.

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

Yes, that is exactly the sort of scenario I was thinking of.

Great to hear that it survived.

Thanks, Colin E.

Reply to
Colin Eberhardt

I fitted some in my kitchen a couple of years ago. I was a bit concerned seeing as my wife tends to splash water everywhere whilst washing up etc and followed her around for the first few months mopping up any water quickly but after a while gave up (as blokes do).

There is no apparent damage by water anywhere, maybe a couple of small dents where heavy pans have landed but you need to look hard to spot them.

Have since fitted it in my conservatory and have no problems there either. Franko.

Reply to
Franko

I put Tileloc in the kitchen and it has been fine for a number of years now. It's had leaks on it, spills and regular mopping with no problem.

However the wood effect laminate that I put in the bathroom, while supposedly suitable for bathrooms, fairly rapidly began to delaminate just where drips fall from your hands as you turn from the washbasin to pick up a towel - although oddly enough it is fine around the bath edge even though the kids regularly soak that area.

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

waterproofing, though it is best to run some varnish along the edges of each join to stop ingress. However, I have found it wears out really quickly - I have it here in our kitchen/dining room, and it is wearing out in less than a year - where chair legs are normally on it. I wouldnt use it again for such a living area, though i think it is good for bathrooms, but, I dont think I would buy it again for myself, as the Howdens equivalent is better quality, at roughly the same price, and comes in one tile pieces, not the four of B+Q. really easy to put down and cut around obstructions. Alan.

Reply to
A.Lee

Is the Howden's product as waterproof as the TileLoc?

Reply to
S Viemeister

Put it down in our kitchen a few years back in the autumn. Next spring I found an offcut in the garden where I had been sawing it up. Still perfect.

Offcut has now been outside for several year and is still not bad considering!

I'd not worry about a few splashes tbh

Darren

Reply to
dmc

As you say, it must be the chair and table legs. Our kitchen purely a cooking and cleaning area, not a dining area and the Tileloc looks as good as new after three or four years.

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

They advertise it as. AquaBlock is their name, they are thicker than the B+Q ones, as well as being easier to put together. Alan.

Reply to
A.Lee

Thank you.

Reply to
S Viemeister

I laid some AquaLock from B&Q this week, claimed to be suitable for bathromms if joints were glued (right PITA if you have ever done it). Warranty exclusions were legion & manyfold.

Another interesting warrenty exclusion was the placement of any item of furniture over 115kg.

That would mean an armchair + an FB.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Worried about this. I may have been lucky to miss FBs wandering about the local streets but it sounds like they are heavy customers. (Nigel Planer).

Reply to
Clot

I'd guess they mean permanent load. Unless you never move from the armchair. 115kg would also be exceeded in terms of psi with things like stiletto heels. So no holding cross dressing parties in that room.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I doubt that would stand up unless it's qualified in some way. Is that a single point load? All one one "plank"? Or what?

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

Dunno. It just said any item of furniture over 115kg should be laminated around, leaving the appropriate expansion gap.

Half the instruction leaflet was warranty exclusion clauses.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman