Re: Printer dilemma .. Anyone manning 'Dabs' online

Hi All,

Thanks to all those who offered help and advice re my printer replacement dilemma (old HPDJ840c).

I finally ordered (last Sunday) a Canon ip4000 from Dabs.

I got an order confirmation on Sunday and an 'update' on Monday asking to confirm the relationship between 'the cardholder' (my wife) , the delivery address (my mate up the road) and myself (user) ;-)

I did so and in spite of a couple of 'any update on this order please' ? Emails I've had nothing but autoreplies?

The order status still shows 'awaiting card authorization' or summat.

So I just cancelled it ;-(

Two reasons ..

1) I get very frustrated when you have no access other than by email (anyone have a phone number for them and is there any point calling it?) and they don't seem to reply to that (well not in 4 days anyway)?

2) I've just been given an HPDJ 910c ;-)

Now I can understand that it might make things 'difficult' for them by requesting a different delivery address from the card holders address, but if that is going to nauze things up why give us the boxes to fill in in the first place?

"The computer says No" ;-(

All the best ..

T i m

Reply to
T i m

Or 940c actually (doh)

Reply to
T i m

See uk.comp.vendors for a recent discussion about them.

It is rather long, but the short version is that if you expect any communication from them, then you might as well go elsewhere in the first place.

Reply to
NotMe

My heuristic for ordering from Dabs is: *only* order items they say are in stock. Sticking to this, I've never had a missed delivery and always received stuff next day. Colleagues who've believed the '239 expected in

2-3 days' have waited for much longer and been left in limbo.
Reply to
Stefek Zaba

The two items I orderd were both 'in stock' but I think I took it 'outside the box' by taking up their provision of having them delivered to an address different to that of the cardholder? ;-(

I quite expected the 'confirmation letter' asking what my relationship was to the delivery address etc (card security) but I forgot this would have to put humans back in the chain and I'm not sure these 'internet only' suppliers have any on thir payroll? (I visualise a room with just PDP11 in it). ;-)

Maybe if this HPDJ 940c isn't a 'goer' I'll place a straight order with them again and keep it very simple .. ;-)

All the best ..

T i m

Reply to
T i m

The printer has more CPU power than the PDP 11, that's for sure.

Markus

Reply to
Markus Splenius

hello all

Have had mediocre experiences with DABS myself too. I then used to use Simply, and now I find that they have been swallowed up by (eek!) Misco. Anyway they still have a big garish website at

and their next day delivery still seems reliable. I always have the delivery sent to my work address, never to home. Never had a problem with them. And no I don't work there.

cheers Dave P

Reply to
Dave Phillips

I often order to different addresses using Dabs. However, they do not like to do so until they've delivered a few times to the real address to make sure you aren't going to do a runner, as delivery to a non-cardholder address will result in a credit card chargeback on request, so is a considerable risk to them.

I had a similar issue when I ordered some bits for my mother, as she, obviously, had no history with them. The order got put on hold until they could ascertain her integrity. After a day or two of nothing seeming to happen, I just cancelled the line of the order that they had held and the rest of the bits turned up next day!

However, when I order in my own name, there is never a problem, as I have ordered lots of stuff of them without any issues, so they don't care about the address, as they know I'm genuine.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

The senario of cardholder, delivery address and purchasing customer all being different people would immediatly indicate a high possibility of fraud. Even the most rudametary fraud screening systems would alert on this.

It seems Dabs realise this sort of thing and no doubt would like to do futher investigations before accepting the order.

From your expereice though, it seems they are not very good at this.

Reply to
William Joones

Indeed .. and therefore I wasn't surprised when I got the email they next day saying 'wtf' ;-)

Of course, and no more than we would hope (even my missus was a bit shocked when they apparently 'accepted' her card from my name to a different address) but the lack of updates or contact (outside of me sending emails and getting nothing in return) just left me frustrated. ;-(

I think *I* have used them in the past so I should have some 'history' with them .. so my Surname, cardholder and invoice address were known .. just the delivery address was 'different' ?

Additionally, if this is how 'remote' they can be on a sale, what could they be like on a return?

All the best ..

T i m

Reply to
T i m

I used to use them fairly regularly when they had a 'shop' in Walthamstow. Their prices were ok (better than PCW but worse than the 'trade' suppliers I had access to) and sometimes it's nice to just go and get something rather than relying on couriers etc.

Then they went all weird with no direct sales access (pick up a phone and ring someone the other side of a partition?) and I've hardly been back since.

And no I don't work there.

Like Dabs, does anyone?

All the best ..

T i m