Re: OT Gunfight.

>> > harry wrote: >> > > Gunfight on Brit nuclear submarine. >> > > You couldn't make it up.  In harbour too. >> >> > Probably turn out to be all about some Wren. >> >> Wren vs Bren? >> >> Owain > >Makes you wonder about security if someone can be in possesion of a >gun on a nuke. Why would they need a gun on a nuke? Was it legit or >smuggled on board?

Read the article:

fred

ARWadsworth

I reckon an SA80 might be a bit of overkill.

Reply to
Skipweasel

So are you suggesting that they should be issued with handbags?

Reply to
ARWadsworth

You really are Terry Fuckwit AICMFP.

Reply to
Steve Firth

I'd have thought an SA80 in a confined space like a sub would be a real liability - side-arms would be more wieldy.

Reply to
Skipweasel

In article , Skipweasel writes

Think outside the box (boat), they have to protect it wherever it may be parked and may be required to perform some military action where it is just delivering them to a particular location.

Reply to
fred

You really do have to wonder about the people who are astonished that a warship should have people aboard with access to weapons, ammunition and the training to use them, don't you?

Mind you, the marines have been commenting that the fact that a matelot managed to hit something, even in a fish-in-the-barrel situation is astonishing.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Yeah, best to give them catapults and boxing gloves.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Side arms are not macho. Although I am sure that the fact it was an SA80 not a side arm helped people subdue the guy in such a small space.

Personally I do believe that I would have needed a change of underwear if I was in that room when he started shooting.

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Yeah, I understand that, but you'd think the big stuff would be in a rack by the door (yeah, I know it's a hatch or something) and once aboard you'd rely on side-arms.

Reply to
Skipweasel

A side-arm would have been more deadly in a confined space. Apparently, the seaman was wrestled to the floor by a local councillor. I guess he'll never live down the shame.

Reply to
GB

" . . . . the suspect a sentry armed with an SA80 service rifle. Submariners do not routinely carry loaded firearms aboard ships, but those on sentry duty are armed."

I'd expect arms to be secured in an armoury when not issued (as this one appears to have been) and not is a walnut gun rack by the door :-)

Reply to
fred

S'wot I thought. Even a carbine would be too long for submarine use. The only sub I've been in I could barely turn round, let alone swing a weapon.

Reply to
Skipweasel

Exactly. I had a trip round a Trafalgar class at Devonport, and had to walk past a marine on the quay with an SA80

Reply to
newshound

They are not for use in the boat but on it. Since the 90's when there started to be an ever increasing likelihood of terrorism, the "Trot Sentry", the guy who stands watch on the casing at the head of the gangway, is armed with an SA80. The weapon is normally handed over at the watch change on the casing. All RN ships have armed sentries.

A huge dollop of bollox has been spouted by the media and many laymen who have little knowledge of the military. Guns are prolific in such places as airports, army barracks to name but two, do people expect the RN to be at a disadvantage. They are highly trained in the use of arms. Many years ago, I, as a sailor was engaged in firefights in Aden and other places.

This Trot Sentry probably should not have been below with his gun. My guess is that one or two officers had been giving this guy a particularly hard time, the days of arrogant officers is not yet past, although not as common. There is no justification for this guys actions but as humans we are mostly all guilty of losing our heads on occasions. This guy just happened to be armed with a lead slinger at the time.

Reply to
Old Git

In article , Old Git scribeth thus

And the bloke from the council, it must be rather tough fighting in the council chamber perhaps thats were he learned to wrestle and joking apart a bloody hero:))....

Reply to
tony sayer

That was my point. I'm not remotely suggesting that the armed forces shouldn't be armed - I was surprised at the choice of firearm considering it was inside the vessel. I used to live near Heathrow - armed police were part of the scenery. Several times on the A312 I saw people face down on the tarmac with several rozzers pointing weapons at them. Just south of where it crosses the A4 seemed popular for some reason.

Reply to
Skipweasel

You really don't want to jump the lights at that junction.

Nick

Reply to
Nick Leverton

SA80 is not as big as you might imagine, far shorter than the SLR it replaced. It also has very little kick so is pretty accurate,only downside is 5.56mm does not have range/stopping power, but under 300m it is very effective.

Reply to
Vernon