Re: In my experience....

I've only ever used 4 speedfit fittings on the ends of a shower pump in /

> out feeds I fitted last week, because I had no choice as they were on the > ends of the supplied flexi pipes in and out. > I was very dubious when turning on the water system expecting at least a > dribble, but nothing, all worked as they should. > > However, my concern is how these things will survive time. "O" rings > eventually perish and fail in most places, and I expect these to eventually > also. If I have an inaccessable soldered copper joint under a floor > somewhere I can be confident that if it doesn't leak on the day it's fitted, > it won't leak in 20 years time also. However, if I had a speedshit fitting > inaccessable it would concern me. > > For this reason, every joint I have in my house and others I have plumbed is > soldered copper, with the exception of the unavoidiable compression fit on > the ends of taps etc. And I really don't like compression either! > > Soldered may be slower, but I feel time spent using the tried-n-tested > method will be years extra in time the installation lasts. Also, I find > soldered look neater, tidier, and better in cramped spaces than any other > plumbing system. > > Alan.

In first fix on new builds I have seen professionals do soldered jobs faster than using plastic pushfit. Putting in copper pipe with fittings that push together with a some flux in is quick and easy. Less clips to support it too. Then it is a matter of going around and soldering the fittings. A two man team can do this in no time at all. And the cost is a fraction of the plastic stuff.

Reply to
IMM

In article , IMM writes

No you haven't, you're making that up, I've told you before about telling porkies on newsgroups

Reply to
David

Bertie, how is the cowboy game going?

Reply to
IMM

In article , IMM writes

Sorry John you've lost me there especially as you have just performed a classic cowboy operation, turned up without the proper tools for the job and bodged it up, they make TV programs about people like you

Reply to
David

Bertie, this means how are you going along incompetently fitting pipes and making money out of it.

Reply to
IMM

In article , IMM writes

John I'm not a plumber like you, I don't make money out of fitting pipes

Reply to
David

Bertie, I am not a plumber. It obvious you don't make money out of fitting pipes. You know nothing about them.

Reply to
IMM

Based on your recent exploits, I imagine you wouldn't either.......

I'd stay in the armchair and fantasise about LVT if I were you. It ought to keep you out of trouble.

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

In message , IMM writes

'Scuse me

how do you equate

"i had a problem"

with other peoples' experiences

Reply to
geoff

In message , IMM writes

I* suppose your domestic science course didn't prepare you for such eventualities

Reply to
geoff

In article , IMM writes

I know how to join plastic pipes without a problem John, which is a lot more than you, now next time get the proper tools and do the job properly and take heed of the good advice you've had from the group, there are people here who obviously know a lot more than you.

Reply to
David

In article , geoff writes

c'mon Geoff, give the guy some credit, it was computer science (mind you you would not think it from the garbage he spouts about that as well)

Reply to
David

It certainly shows that quoting maker's specs off the internet and having catalogues for bedtime reading is no substitute for actual hands on experience, but then we've known this about IMM or Adam before him for years. Anyone know what he really does do for a living? All the *actual* things we read about him doing involve it being for friends, and things going wrong...

Reply to
Dave Plowman

In a previous splinter of the original thread, when I asked why he had so much time to post, he said - and I quote -

my conclusion was that he's either on the dole or retired. He posts

*way* too regularly to be holding down a proper job (or if he's self employed then he's got no customers)

Tim

Reply to
Tim Nicholson

In a previous splinter of the original thread, when I asked why he had so much time to post, he said - and I quote -

"Yep. I am on-line almost all times."

My conclusion was that he's either on the dole or retired. He posts

*way* too regularly to be holding down a proper job (or if he's self employed then he's got no customers)

Tim

Reply to
Tim Nicholson

In message , snipped-for-privacy@chaplehouse.demon.co.uk writes

Until he actually demonstrates that he has a degree (which over the years various people have asked him to prove), I'm sticking with a CSE in domestic science as his only qualification

Reply to
geoff

Oh you are such fun....

Reply to
IMM

How are the yellow DeWalt boots then. Still leaning on the bar thinking you are macho, when you work in an office. What a Trollope.

no quote.

Strange person.

Reply to
IMM

Bertie, you don't.

Reply to
IMM

Maxie, are you one of the Teletubbies? or do you just wear the suit at night.

Reply to
IMM