Re: Fathers 4 Justice

No it's not - when we had proper prisons in this country, criminals were taken out to be "hung, drawn and quartered" not "hanged, drawn and quartered".

Reply to
G&M

Gravy Booby.

Reply to
IMM

No. Hung.

Reply to
IMM

In message , G&M writes

Yes it is, the correct term is hanged, drawn ad quartered

e.g. :

Hanging

nl:Ophanging Hanging is one of the forms of capital punishment which has been used as a method of execution throughout history. One typical sentence was for the perpetrator to be 'hanged, drawn and quartered'. Another was for the person to be 'hanged by the neck until dead'. In times of war, hanging is often considered a dishonourable method of execution and was for that reason it was used rather than execution by firing squad for war criminals as recently as the Nuremberg trials.

As a form of judicial execution, hanging in England is thought to date from the Saxon period, ca. 400 AD, although it had earlier been used in the Persian Empire. British hangmen are recorded from Thomas de Warblynton in the 1360s, with complete records from the 1500s to the last hangmen, Robert Leslie Stewart and Harry Allen who conducted the last British executions in 1964.

Early methods of hanging simply involved a slip knot on a rope placed around the victim's neck, with the loose end thrown or tied to a tree branch; the criminal was then drawn up and slowly strangled. Early refinements were to make the culprit climb a ladder or stand in a cart which was subsequently removed. In the 1800s another method was developed where a machine drew the prisoner aloft using weights -- a further development of this machine was where the process was begun by the prisoner stepping onto a metal plate which triggered the weights so that the prisoner effectively "executed himself". As the number of executions increased, the tree was replaced by a purpose-built gallows which usually comprised of two posts joined by a crossbeam -- virtually every major town and city in Britain had its own gallows.

Until 1808 the death penalty was inflicted in England for some 200 offences, inclu

Reply to
geoff

In message , IMM writes

This from someone who has difficulty stringing a sentence together

Reply to
geoff

n message , G&M writes

Even 15 year old septics can get it right

"What I learned this year is that the President is not someone to mock. Even if he is an idiot and a war criminal who deserves to be hanged, and even if no one in the media has the balls to say so. (You shouldn't say balls either.)"

The rest of his essay is good too, but I'll let you find it yourself

Reply to
geoff

In article , geoff writes

Septic is about right, mines a real pain

Reply to
David

Maxie, you finished off this sentence like this: " Until 1808 the death penalty was inflicted in England for some 200 offences, inclu"

Reply to
IMM

In message , IMM writes

That's called copy and paste

having got the point across, I wasn't really interested where I finished copying, it wasn't important

Reply to
geoff

It was somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember geoff saying something like:

Bring it back, I say.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

It was somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember "nick smith" saying something like:

As long as they're game for it, iwt.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Half a house brick, club hammer.... ;-)