Re: examples of digital rip-off

Yes, there was. When pride was taken by the engineers (sorry guys, I know it still is - but others now can get in the way) all the way from camera to transmitter aerial.

There is some truth in what you say; on the whole, CDs are capable of better quality than analogue, except perhaps in the case of extremely careful setting-up of very expensive record players - certainly, at the cost and convenience levels most people are willing to expend, there's little contest. (Part of this is that when CDs came in digitising was in its infancy, so a very high - and of course uncompressed - sample rate/bit depth was chosen.) Not sure about AM radio - I am not old enough to remember when it was dominant, and allowed somewhat more bandwidth than 4.5 kHz each side. I suspect that, again if carefully set up and with a good signal, it was capable of good sound - but in mono, and only as good as the rest of the reproduction chain at the time, which rarely had much at the top end.

A lot of the trouble with the new is that its proponents tend to _over_state its advantages; I am an engineer myself, and guilty of the same!

I think the big difference with DTV is the initial impression. When someone - especially a non-technical person - sees digital telly for the first time, they most definitely will notice the lack of noise, the rock-steady picture, and the vibrant colours. These of course will be evident on even a frozen picture! I've at least once had the reaction "isn't it a lovely picture" when I was in the middle of setting up and was just getting the odd frame. Especially when viewed close up, a digital picture _does_ look good.

All the things that those of us of a technical mind notice, such as jerky motion, and - especially - compression artefacts, take somewhat longer to be aware of.

(Plus, of course, most [non-technical] people I've discussed it with _are_ interested in getting more channels; not, necessarily, lots of them, but just one or two, that they can't get on analogue. [Remember that this drove UHF takeup to a considerable extent, whatever some may say about the improvement 625 gave over 405, which I personally don't think was that much.] A lot of Kent can't even get C5 at all on analogue, for example.)

Reply to
J. P. Gilliver (John)

Like status.

(How do we know that these Latin words are pluralised in this way? Is it classical, or mediaeval?)

Reply to
Max Demian

A desire for more channels may well have been the initial impetus for many people but the planned UHF take-up never happened.

It fell flat on its face the day the BBC announced its policy for the forthcoming second channel would be programming favouring the arts and minority interests!

I worked for a small independent retailer at the time and remember that, the following day, the 'phone hardly stopped ringing with customers cancelling 625 line conversions - not to mention those who turned up in person for the same reason.

I suspect a large number of dealers in the Crystal Palace reception area experienced something similar.

Then somebody came up with a splendid wheeze - put football on BBC2 - and he wasn't an Australian, either! And so was born "Match of the Day".

Terry

Reply to
Terry Casey

Indeed.

In the case of impetus and status it certainly seems to be classical -- no surprise really as mediæval usage tended to be much looser, and some grammatical niceties from the classical period were not observed at all.

It's not always cut-and-dry. Some words weren't used consistently, others changed in form or usage over the course of what we think of as the "classical" period ... some forms of some words disappeared altogether (remember the "Romans Go Home" scene from Life of Brian? "Domus" ("home") takes the locative form "domum" ("to home") in that phrase, in which it is unusual as the locative form of most nouns (apart from "domus" and a few place names) had long since atrophied and dropped off).

I must go and watch LoB again, now, to keep this on-topic

Cheers, Daniel.

Reply to
Daniel James

What I mean is how do we know the Romans pronounced status differently according to whether it was singular or plural? Rhymes in poetry? Did Roman poetry rhyme?

Reply to
Max Demian

A wonderful film. Above the heads of various archbishops and Malcolm Muggeridge.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

I glory in the serendipitous nature of this newsgroup.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

In message , Bill Wright writes

Which of the four you replied to was that then ?

Reply to
geoff

I can't let you get away with forever trying to perpetuate this myth that the BBC on DVB-S was ever broadcast at in your words a 'far higher' bit rate than they do today. It's simply not true. BBC1/2 currently broadcast at about

4.5MBps & far as I am aware they have always broadcast at this rate. What rate do you claim that they were broadcasting at to in your words have 'dropped them dramatically' as the current rate is among the highest of any standard definition DVB-S broadcast on any satellite. I have Googled extensively trying to find any evidence to support your assertions & there is none.
Reply to
Nigel Barker

Ah, gotcha.

Yes, I suspect Roman verse does tell us a lot about the lengths and stresses of syllables in Latin words -- but not because of rhyme.

Roman verse forms were characterised by their metre -- rhythm rather than rhyme (try typing that quickly!). Rhyming would have been too easy (or maybe too difficult) in a language in which the last syllable of a word changes according to it's grammatical case.

Daniel.

Reply to
Daniel James

Daniel.

Reply to
Daniel James

What's latin for 'you say tomayto, I say tomahto' ;-)

De Hefflumpi, semper disputandum est.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

We could argue about that all day :P

But I suggest you get a classical scholar and a Roman Catholic in the same room, and ask again - I've heard that the language has shifted.

There's a half-decent wikipedia article on this - but I'm not going to read it all, I'm with Jennings:

Latin is a language, as dead as dead can be; It killed the ancient Romans, and now it's killing me.

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ

In news: snipped-for-privacy@eclipse.net.uk, Andy Champ typed, for some strange, unexplained reason: : The Natural Philosopher wrote: : > What's latin for 'you say tomayto, I say tomahto' ;-) : >

: > De Hefflumpi, semper disputandum est. : : We could argue about that all day :P : : But I suggest you get a classical scholar and a Roman Catholic in the : same room, and ask again - I've heard that the language has shifted. : : There's a half-decent wikipedia article on this - but I'm not going to : read it all, I'm with Jennings: : : Latin is a language, : as dead as dead can be; : It killed the ancient Romans, : and now it's killing me.

So I'm not the only one left who remembers Jennings..! I can't be as old as I thought I was (and it's my birthday on Saturday too..!)

Did you have a teacher like Old Wilkie..? We certainly did ;-)

Ivor

Reply to
Ivor Jones

Unforgettable!

Jack Carr and his car jack Pottlewhistle Halt The sci-fi craze: "these corridors are cluttered up with space" Snorkels The printing press

45 next month, in my case.

Several, in fact, as well as a few Mr Carters!

Jerry Brown

Reply to
Jerry Brown

In news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com, Jerry Brown typed, for some strange, unexplained reason: : On Tue, 24 Feb 2009 01:54:23 -0000, "Ivor Jones" : [snip]

: >So I'm not the only one left who remembers Jennings..! : : Unforgettable! : : Jack Carr and his car jack : Pottlewhistle Halt : The sci-fi craze: "these corridors are cluttered up with space" : Snorkels : The printing press : : >I can't be as old : >as I thought I was (and it's my birthday on Saturday too..!) : : 45 next month, in my case.

Aaarrgh.. digits the other way round this end........

: >Did you have a teacher like Old Wilkie..? We certainly did ;-) : : Several, in fact, as well as a few Mr Carters!

Yes we had a couple of those too, fortunately.

Ivor

Reply to
Ivor Jones